Crazy shrimp antics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! I was cleaning the tank the other day when about 7 of my shrimp decided that my hand was a great playground! I guess they were trying to clean it! Anyone else have crazy shrimp antics that you've experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha! Definitely seen this behavior in shrimps. My shrimp always seem to flock to "check out" anything new in the tank for up to a few hours. My hands, my tongs, new plastic, new wood, even a piece of cuttlebone. I guess if it's not tasty they'll ignore it afterwards.

Actually that rang a bell when I used to go fishing as a kid. We'd be standing knee deep in the river to keep cool over summer and get swarmed by shrimp. Some had a decent bite too!

Haha! Definitely seen this behavior in shrimps. My shrimp always seem to flock to "check out" anything new in the tank for up to a few hours. My hands, my tongs, new plastic, new wood, even a piece of cuttlebone. I guess if it's not tasty they'll ignore it afterwards.

I feel like now that I've got a good size colony going their behavior is much more interesting!

If I want to net some shrimp they dart away so fast that it's impossible to catch them.
If I leave a net in the water within a few minutes it's got loads of shrimp in it and it takes a lot of swishing to get them out of it.
Are they just being bloody minded?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If I want to net some shrimp they dart away so fast that it's impossible to catch them.
If I leave a net in the water within a few minutes it's got loads of shrimp in it and it takes a lot of swishing to get them out of it.

That happens to me too! Also the glass scrubber they like to cling to!

Saw in some previous threads owners asked if cherry shrimp like turbulence in the tank. This was one of my shrimp trying to graze the algae on the end of the filter outlet (all the white steaks are bubbles).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458080627.715589.jpg
My shrimps also 'ride the waves' on floating leaves and won't let go for love nor money. Great to watch.

That sounds like some fish I know! Will cheerfully swim into a net while I'm trying to catch something else. :)

Back
Top Bottom