Crystal Red Shrimp Care Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing research on these little guys, I need some help.

I currently have a ten gallon RCS tank, and I'm not really looking to spend on these little buggers until I get more experience with RCS. So no worries about me putting up WTB ads even though I have little experience.

Can they be kept and bred alongside RCS? Will they breed in a ten gallon tank? I read that they NEED soft, acidic water, but I have 8.0 pH! Does this rule out CRS as a possibility completely?

Also, share your experiences, thoughts, warnings, and tips for these guys. Thank you!!

I have a few in a 2.5gal tank with some RCS, pH is 7.0, I don't do anything to the tank except feed and water changes. They're pretty easy to care for IMO. I believe they will interbreed with the RCS though and you'll get "ugly" shrimplets.

I have a few in a 2.5gal tank with some RCS, pH is 7.0, I don't do anything to the tank except feed and water changes. They're pretty easy to care for IMO. I believe they will interbreed with the RCS though and you'll get "ugly" shrimplets.

AFAIK, They do not interbreed. They are different species.

AFAIK, They do not interbreed. They are different species.

+1 to that. If you're worried about the PH there are alot of PH altering substrates made for shrimp, you could look into those, or use RO/DI water and add minerals to it yourself. It probably wouldn't cost very much to do it that way on a 10 gallon tank. Another thing you could try is mixing your tap water with RO/DI. Have you read up on GH, KH, and TDS yet? Some of the harder shrimp have very strict standards. Love that you're doing it the smart way, asking questions first good man. BTW seems like the lower grade CRS are a bit more hardy than the higher grades, with inbreeding and all. So don't be surprised if you get low grades and don't have any die offs then get higher grades and run into a few problems.

+1 to that. If you're worried about the PH there are alot of PH altering substrates made for shrimp, you could look into those, or use RO/DI water and add minerals to it yourself. It probably wouldn't cost very much to do it that way on a 10 gallon tank. Another thing you could try is mixing your tap water with RO/DI. Have you read up on GH, KH, and TDS yet? Some of the harder shrimp have very strict standards. Love that you're doing it the smart way, asking questions first good man. BTW seems like the lower grade CRS are a bit more hardy than the higher grades, with inbreeding and all. So don't be surprised if you get low grades and don't have any die offs then get higher grades and run into a few problems.
It is going to be a long, long time before I'm getting high grade stuff. I think my LFS has RO/DI, I'll look into it. What "minerals" do I need to add? Tap water? How do I measure GH/KH? My API kit doesn't have that unfortunately. Remind me what TDS is?

I'm glad you appreciate that I'm doing my research first :) .

What "minerals" do I need to add? Tap water? How do I measure GH/KH? My API kit doesn't have that unfortunately. Remind me what TDS is?

API makes a GH/KH test kid that's not included in the master test kit. Hope someday they'll add it though. TDS means total dissolved solids, I myself haven't figured out how to test that lol. They have meters and such but I'm not sure which one to use. As far as minerals, they make mineral additives just for shrimp. I'm still at the research stage just like you, I'm wanting to learn a lot more before jumping into higher grade shrimps. If I find any more info on which meter for TDS I'll make sure to let ya know.

Sake said:
API makes a GH/KH test kid that's not included in the master test kit. Hope someday they'll add it though. TDS means total dissolved solids, I myself haven't figured out how to test that lol. They have meters and such but I'm not sure which one to use. As far as minerals, they make mineral additives just for shrimp. I'm still at the research stage just like you, I'm wanting to learn a lot more before jumping into higher grade shrimps. If I find any more info on which meter for TDS I'll make sure to let ya know.

An inexpensive TDS Meter will work fine.
http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults?cmd=SKW&pg=1&kw=tds+meter

I'm trying AquaSoil (new) Amazonia Multi Type.
It's keeping my PH low and grows plants well.
Expensive, but I'm trying it in a 5.5g. Should be adding CRS tomorrow.

My CRS live fine with my RCS. They live fine in my 7.4PH but not much breeding. I've lost a couple.

Sake said:
BTW seems like the lower grade CRS are a bit more hardy than the higher grades, with inbreeding and all. So don't be surprised if you get low grades and don't have any die offs then get higher grades and run into a few problems.

My understanding of it, is that higher grade CRS have been inbred more to keep the grade. That's why they need pristine parameters, because they've been inbred and are more sensitive. I'm not to sure if "inbred" is the world I'm looking for though...also, I've heard that babies most baby's will not live long in a higher pH.

My understanding of it, is that higher grade CRS have been inbred more to keep the grade. That's why they need pristine parameters, because they've been inbred and are more sensitive. I'm not to sure if "inbred" is the world I'm looking for though...also, I've heard that babies most baby's will not live long in a higher pH.
Yeah... unless I get an RO/DI system... it's a no no for me. I do 50% water change weekly, should I increase that if/when I get CRS?

phoenixkiller said:
Yeah... unless I get an RO/DI system... it's a no no for me. I do 50% water change weekly, should I increase that if/when I get CRS?

I can't give you an exact answer for that. IMHO thats way too large and you will stress them out pretty badly. I have NO experience with CRS, but I imagine a 25%-30% PWC weekly will be enough. If you get into higher grades, maybe 10% every few days?

You'll get different answers from different people.

I plan to do part Tap/part Distilled.
Some people do straight RO/DI and add supplements to remineralize the water.

I will probably do small 10-25% changes weekly or 10% twice a week. Depending on parameters.

I will ONLY have Shrimp in the new tank, so low bioload. I've got plenty of plants in there.

Stable, clean cool low PH water is the goal.

Sake has some good advice.

And yes, neocardinia and Cardinia will not interbreed.

I know RO/DI water can be expensive to produce on a budget, so id try the substrates first if you're shooting for lower grade CRS

Back
Top Bottom