Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cucumber?

Hi, my snails have not changed their behaviors mentioned in my previous post (Ridley is still doing her laps around the top of the tank, Phork is still a algae wafer munching lazy snail) .

My question is, I keep reading that I should give them a little fresh vegetation but I'm afraid (terrified actually) that all the vegetables at the store have pesticides. How can I make sure I don't get a poisoned cucumber or something? Is there a brand or a type of veg that you guys would recomend that won't hurt my snails?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozmere View Post
Hi, my snails have not changed their behaviors mentioned in my previous post (Ridley is still doing her laps around the top of the tank, Phork is still a algae wafer munching lazy snail) .

My question is, I keep reading that I should give them a little fresh vegetation but I'm afraid (terrified actually) that all the vegetables at the store have pesticides. How can I make sure I don't get a poisoned cucumber or something? Is there a brand or a type of veg that you guys would recomend that won't hurt my snails?
Do you have a garden or know somebody who does. To be honest though, I've been feeding store bought veggies since I've had tanks and not had a problem. Just wash them like normal and blanch if need be.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most of the pesticides reside on the skin so a good wash or cutting off the skin should be ok
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

Thank you guys, I'll get something today and make sure it's very well washed.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or just buy organic
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a fruit and vegetable wash that work very well to remove anything that maybe on the skin or like someone mentioned just shell out the little bit of extra $$ and buy organic veggies.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

I feed mine zucchini. I just peel it and blanch it for about a minute. My snails love it(nerites and mystery snails). I just buy it from any store haven't had any issues..
Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #8

I just bought organic turnip greens from Walmart, I used some NovAqua Plus to treat some cold water and swished a few leaves around in it to get anything off then gently relocated my two snails to where I weighted one of the leaves down in the aquarium.

My biggest (who has seemed to almost double in size since I got him...was it a week ago?) is just sitting on the leaf, he is a lazy snail and likes to sleep a lot anyway. My smaller one crawled over him and went back to doing her laps around the top of the tank like she always does, neither seem to be interested in the leaf :/

This would not be that big of a deal except for the fact that today I was looking at Phork (the big one) and the newer part of his shell is clear and kind of rubbery (I didn't push too hard, just inspecting him) so I'm thinking I need to get some calcium into them which turnip greens are very high in calcium. I tried to find some Caltrate without the added D vitamins today but sadly I can not find it in this little town, I hear that they will love it and it's very good for them. So what do i do?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have limestone in your area maybe you could put a little piece in there, I've heard that works. I don't think you necessarily need to get them to eat calcium, just get more of it in the water.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add Cuttle bone to the aquarium it will slowly dissolve then releases calcium and other minerals into the water column, which will aid in shell development.

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com