Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dangers of wild-caught MTS

Long story but was trying to catch some Ghost Shrimp today, got none, but on one dip I pulled up about a bunch of MTS.

On a whim I stuck them in a bucket and brought them home. Now I'm sitting there staring at them trying to decide what to do.

I am doing a new, large tank that is sand substrate and planted. I have no MTS now at all. I have been debating whether adding MTS would collectively be a good, or bad thing in the new tank. Yes, I've read the rather numerous postings for and against. But let's presume for the moment I decide I want some...

What are the odds that wild-caught MTS will harbor something bad, that I wouldn't want in a community, planted tank?

And if I put them in a QT, how exactly would I know when it is safe -- if they live 2 weeks with no overt signs of problem? 3 weeks? 2 years?

I've seen a lot of "don't risk it" but without ever really suggesting what the risk is, or whether there is a good mitigation for it.

Three of them that I caught are huge, colorful ones. Much bigger than I normally see in aquaria around here. So it's tempting. But I don't want to create a problem either.

Other than "don't risk anything wild caught" generally -- is there any guidance on when/how/if to harvest snails wild?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would just qt them for 4-5wks

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishobsessed7 View Post
I would just qt them for 4-5wks
But with a snail what does one look for -- just dead or alive?

With fish there are all sorts of behavioral and appearance indications of illness.

Are prophylactic treatments appropriate (are there even any de-parasiting treatments available for snails)?

Maybe what I am asking might better be phrased this way -- there are probably some snails still coming to the aquarium trade that are wild caught. What precautions are used in the trade?

Or am I wrong, and all are farm raised now?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm no expert, but you could try giving the snails a 30 minute bath in a Methylene Blue solution. This should kill any bacteria or fungus they might be carrying as well as severely weaken any parasites. This worked well for me as a prophylactic treatment for the last batch of fish I added. It is supposed to be safe for inverts as well, as long as you stay within the proper dosage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
I'm no expert, but you could try giving the snails a 30 minute bath in a Methylene Blue solution. This should kill any bacteria or fungus they might be carrying as well as severely weaken any parasites. This worked well for me as a prophylactic treatment for the last batch of fish I added. It is supposed to be safe for inverts as well, as long as you stay within the proper dosage.
Thank you. I may try again. of the three I saved, one climbed to the top and stayed just above the water line, one either died or enter a coma, and I decided to just get rid of all three.

But that's a good thought for the future, as I'd like to try again. I'm not sure any of the LFS' in the area sell MTS, so I may need to catch them if I want some.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check out the classifieds here. There are always people offering up plants and MTS. In fact, I'm about to be overrun with them myself. I have a ton of MTS babies in my sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #7

If your collecting in Florida it's very unlikely that they are MTS and depending on where you are collecting the shrimp they could be a salt/brackish species of snail which would be why they were leaving the unfavorable water conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
If your collecting in Florida it's very unlikely that they are MTS and depending on where you are collecting the shrimp they could be a salt/brackish species of snail which would be why they were leaving the unfavorable water conditions.
Perhaps, though this was definitely a fresh water lake (it was a constructed pond at a university). Next time I'll get photos.

Tags
mts, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com