Different coloured shrimp eggs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeychizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently brought ten red cherries for my 1gal office tank.. and discovered that two were pregnant.

However, one has green eggs, while the other has orange eggs. Is this significant? Are they going to be wild variety shrimp? Or retain their vibrant red hue? :confused:

p.s. will red cherries interbreed with ghost shrimp?:confused::confused:

I've observed the same thing; berried RCS carrying yellow, orange, and greenish eggs. Not sure of the significance. None of mine are of the wild type, however, the amount of red does vary from shrimp to shrimp.
No, RCS will not breed with ghost shrimp. They will not breed with amano or crystal red shrimp. They will breed with other neocaridina species, often resulting in undesired coloration. See link for a listing of other neocaridina color morphs and pics: http://www.naturebrain.com/en/una-sola-categoria-animales-2/33-shrimpneocaridina

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've observed the same thing; berried RCS carrying yellow, orange, and greenish eggs. Not sure of the significance. None of mine are of the wild type, however, the amount of red does vary from shrimp to shrimp.
No, RCS will not breed with ghost shrimp. They will not breed with amano or crystal red shrimp. They will breed with other neocaridina species, often resulting in undesired coloration. See link for a listing of other neocaridina color morphs and pics: Color list for shrimp Neocaridina heteropoda

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Phew! Now I won't have to worry about wild shrimp flooding my tank. They seem to be getting along but occasionally the ghosts will jam their claws at the cherries. Meanwhile my lone amano just tirelessly munches on algae. Shame he won't touch that white fungus on my driftwood :/

Back
Top Bottom