Different Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody! I am planning on having a shrimp tank with a breeding pair of bn plecos. For the shrimp, I was wondering if I could put red cherry shrimp, snowball, and blue pearl shrimp together. And if I can would the breed between each other? Thanks you for all the help!

tinyninjafishy said:
Hey everybody! I am planning on having a shrimp tank with a breeding pair of bn plecos. For the shrimp, I was wondering if I could put red cherry shrimp, snowball, and blue pearl shrimp together. And if I can would the breed between each other? Thanks you for all the help!

I see your new to the forum, so welcome! :)

No, you can't mix them together. They will interbreed. Red cherry shrimp, snowball shrimp, and blue pearls are all from the family Neocaridina. Shrimp from the same family will interbreed and the off spring will revert to their wild color (brown). If you want to have 2 kinds of shrimp in the same tank, you can have one type of shrimp from the Neocaridina family, and one type of Caridina shrimp in the tank. For example, you can have Red cherry shrimp with Crystal red shrimp. However, Shrimp from the Caridina family are harder to keep because they require a lower pH around 6.4, unlike Neo's that do better in higher pH's like 7.5-8.0.

Thank you! And okay! I was wondering if they would interbreed and make like purple or something you know? Haha also A lot of people have the red cherry shrimp so I was kind of wondering if anybody on here sold snowball or blue pearl. And do you know the BEST setup for shrimp? I will be having DW and plan to make my own clay cave which I think would be cool. I know they need a lot plants, but should I use gravel, or sand, do I need substrate? Probably dumb questions but I'm kind of new at this so yeah haha

Agreed with Austin.b(y)

If you want to avoid interbreeding, you want to avoid putting shrimp of the same Genus together. The two most common genus where interbreeding can occur are the Neocaridina and caridina. As mentioned you do not want to keep two different species of the same Genus together.

Below is a link that'll show a chart I think will help.
Will These Shrimp Interbreed? .:. Information on keepign Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species in the same Aquarium without creating a Hybrid Shrimp
The exception seems to be Amano (Caridina) Shrimp ... I've read you can kee[ them with other Caridina and will not interbreed.

As for the pH ... certain shrimp have a preferred pH range ... however don't let that stop you. With proper acclimation and keeping a stable pH, you could probably keep ..for example RCS with Amano's. Your best bet is to get a couple of each to start and see how they do for a few weeks. Then maybe look to add the more expensive species.

tinyninjafishy said:
Thank you! And okay! I was wondering if they would interbreed and make like purple or something you know? Haha also A lot of people have the red cherry shrimp so I was kind of wondering if anybody on here sold snowball or blue pearl. And do you know the BEST setup for shrimp? I will be having DW and plan to make my own clay cave which I think would be cool. I know they need a lot plants, but should I use gravel, or sand, do I need substrate? Probably dumb questions but I'm kind of new at this so yeah haha

No problemo:)

Yeah, I wish! Lol Technically this does happen though, people have mixed shrimp and have discovered new species through interbreeding.

I don't think anyone on here sells snowballs or blue pearls. If you can't find anyone on here in the classifieds, try over at Plantedtank.net. You have to be a member to see the shop and swap section over there but registration is easy and free. They definitely have snowballs and blue pearls over there. You can also try AlphaProBreeders.com, but this is gunna be much more expensive then buying from plantedtank.net.

The best setup for shrimp would basically be lots of filtration, and lower flow with lots of moss.You don't need substrate, but it's definitely better to have it. You can use gravel or sand, but if using gravel, stay away from larger gravel, trust me lol The darker the substrate, the more the shrimp will pop out, color wise. My favorite shrimp tank substrate is Fluval Shrimp Stratum. It's awesome :) lol

A clay cave does sounds cool! They actually make these charcoal tubes called breeding tubes too. Those are really cool looking, especially if you tie moss to the top of them. Try looking up Cholla Wood, I think you might like them. They're used in shrimp tanks because the shrimp like picking at them, eating all the goodies that grow off them :)

There's no such thing as a dumb question, ask away! Feel free to PM me anytime too :)

I know they need a lot plants, but should I use gravel, or sand, do I need substrate? Probably dumb questions but I'm kind of new at this so yeah haha

Not dumb at all .. either gravel or sand works ... but with sand shrimp aren't climbing over the more coarse gravel. Plus sand looks much more natural IMO.
Plants, Plants and Plants are key.

Try this site for some shrimp if members here don't carry them ... snowballs and blue pearls ... may be a bit tougher to come by.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp.php

jcolon said:
As for the pH ... certain shrimp have a preferred pH range ... however don't let that stop you. With proper acclimation and keeping a stable pH, you could probably keep ..for example RCS with Amano's. Your best bet is to get a couple of each to start and see how they do for a few weeks. Then maybe look to add the more expensive species.

Definitely, for example I have some S grade CRS in 7.8 pH water right now and they do fine. Breeding is a whole different story though. The babies are usually the ones who need a lower pH to survive.

Definitely, for example I have some S grade CRS in 7.8 pH water right now and they do fine. Breeding is a whole different story though. The babies are usually the ones who need a lower pH to survive.

Yep .. when you start dealing with S Grade CRS ... you want to make your water as ideal as possible for breeding.

Wow thanks! All the info is very helpful! I can't wait to get my tank going! Right now I am trying to grow water wisteria in my 20g so that I can move some of it into the shrimp/bn pleco tank when it's time! I will also get java moss, is there any other plants that will be okay with both of them? Also I am thinking small black gravel for substrate. Does that sound good?

Wow thanks! All the info is very helpful! I can't wait to get my tank going! Right now I am trying to grow water wisteria in my 20g so that I can move some of it into the shrimp/bn pleco tank when it's time! I will also get java moss, is there any other plants that will be okay with both of them? Also I am thinking small black gravel for substrate. Does that sound good?

The Gravel sounds fine and it'll make RCS really stand out. Also look at Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts and maybe some Amazon Swords. All are fairly easy lower light plants. The Anubias, and J.Ferns get their nutrients from the water so you'd dose a liquid fert like Seachem Comprehensive. Crypts and A. Swords are root feeders do root tabs go a long way.

Awesome! And root tabs? Should I check over in plants forum or canyons else answer that here? Also would the snowball or blue pearl go with the black gravel?

Most LFS carry root tabs .. about 8 - 10 per small box ... on average they a small box can last a month or two.

I used to use Seachem root tabs ... but now I freeze 6-7 Osmocote indoor outdoor formula (garden store, Lowes, Homedepot etc) pellets in tank water (no chlorine) then bury the ice cube into the substrate next to the plants. The ice melts releasing the pellets release nutrients in a 3-4 inch radius that last about a month. Depending on the tank size you may need to shove a few cubes into the substrate every 6-7 inches apart.

I currently have a 20 tall with 5 wisteria in it.. So the root tabs are pretty much fertilizer or what? And I just saw bamboo shrimp and those look pretty cool. But I still love the look of the snowball and blue pearl

Yep .. tabs are ferts. I just bought some Wisteria yesterday and planted some Osmocote ... hope they do well. If your looking to add any Swords or Crypts ... tabs are a must.

Snowball and Blue Pearl .. I don't have them but I find black substrate in general makes colors pop ... imagine the contrast of a snowball shrimp against a black substrate and black background.

Bamboo shrimp are cool ... they're filter feeders so an established mature filter's a must.
microbes that live in your filter end up going into your tank by the output and Bamboo shrimp use their fan like appendages to snatch them from the water. Bamboo will look for a spot near the output current they can hang out and just collect the microbes.
But beware ... Bamboo shrimp can go days just hanging out at that one spot feeding constantly which means they wont move! Gets a bit boring at times ... they look so much cooler when they move and climb along the bottom.

Yeah that does sound pretty awesome! And I'm not going to get bamboo. Haha I think I have a possibly crazy idea

If you all would like to tell me what you think that would be greatly appreciated! I just got 3 15g tanks. So I'm honestly thinking of putting a colony of rcs in one, a colony of blue pearls in one, and a colony of snowballs in the third. What do you think? Thanks!

If you all would like to tell me what you think that would be greatly appreciated! I just got 3 15g tanks. So I'm honestly thinking of putting a colony of rcs in one, a colony of blue pearls in one, and a colony of snowballs in the third. What do you think? Thanks!

sounds. absolutely. awesome. Do it! lol You should make a journal thread! lol

A journal thread!? Oh god haha. I still have to clean the tanks out! Which I may do today if I find the time!

Haha thanks! Hopefully I will be able to get started on the tanks today! Would you recommend separate filters for each?

Back
Top Bottom