Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dirted tank and shrimp

Does using dirt capped with sand pose any risk to keeping shrimp? I'm going to be using miracle gro organic potting soil mixed with some eco complete and capped with pool filter sand. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
Does using dirt capped with sand pose any risk to keeping shrimp? I'm going to be using miracle gro organic potting soil mixed with some eco complete and capped with pool filter sand. Thank you.
No it does not. I had a 1g bowl a few years back with those exact specs (minus the Eco). The Red Cherries flourished as well as my plants.

What type of plants and shrimp do you plan on keeping?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aquatic adam is entirely correct, a dirted tank poses no threat to any fish/shrimp/snail that i'm aware of as long as it's done correctly, in fact i have a 10g dirt aquarium that has about 6 shrimp with multiple berried females.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 nodes guppy grass
2 java moss ball
1water sprite
1java fern

I'm placing the order for this tomorrow and am pretty sure all those plants can deal with low light if not ill add a CFL bulb. It's a 10g with thr marineland led hood/light combo from my 20g and I'm not sure on the shrimp yet. My tank is currently in day 4 of a fishless cycle once the eco gets shipped in ill be mixing it with some eco laying it in and capping with the sand. Not sure on the shrimp yet. It's a new setup so probablly whichever ones can handle it.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a naturally planted tank using sunlight and soil covered with gravel SMS the tank flourished.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

if done correctly it pose no threat to them. But if its your first dirted tank, i would not add the shrimps until the tank is estalished (1-2 months). Because the pockets of toxic gas would kill the shrimps. I also would not put any thing other than neo shrimps (cherries, painted fire red, pumpkins, yellows) in non matured tank (less than 6 months running)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
if done correctly it pose no threat to them. But if its your first dirted tank, i would not add the shrimps until the tank is estalished (1-2 months). Because the pockets of toxic gas would kill the shrimps. I also would not put any thing other than neo shrimps (cherries, painted fire red, pumpkins, yellows) in non matured tank (less than 6 months running)
Thank you very much for that info that helps a lot. I wouldhave been upset moreso my wife if we got a bunch of shrimp and they all died. LoL

Tags
rim, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com