Disappearing RCS..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a piece of nylon/pantyhose over the intake of the filter for my fry tank. That might work well in a shrimp tank too.

AngelWings said:
I use a piece of nylon/pantyhose over the intake of the filter for my fry tank. That might work well in a shrimp tank too.

I'll do that too.. The temp of the tank is 72-75.. I do not have a heater in it.. But it seems to always stay at a set temperature.. When I get the 55 gallon planted started I'll be adding my endlers to it.. & making this tank a strictly shrimp tank.. But I heard you don't want but like 10-15 shrimp per 10 gallons?

They stiill can get stuck on the filter and die from my experiene i have a whisper to it killed some o my adult shrimp i cut a hole in te middle of a spong and stuck the filter intake through it

Even if there was copper in leaf zone I wouldn't stress on it too much. There's a paranoia around copper and inverts but plenty of people mix the two. Copper in trace amounts is an essential element even for inverts.

jetajockey said:
Even if there was copper in leaf zone I wouldn't stress on it too much. There's a paranoia around copper and inverts but plenty of people mix the two. Copper in trace amounts is an essential element even for inverts.

Well I heard copper was fine as long as you don't overdose..

hellaasian said:
They stiill can get stuck on the filter and die from my experiene i have a whisper to it killed some o my adult shrimp i cut a hole in te middle of a spong and stuck the filter intake through it

Well I had a few get stuck to it, but I'd go to lift the thing up so it would lose the suction, & when I touched the intake tube, the shrimp would shoot off.. Like they were picking at the stuff my filter.. & i was thinking about cutting a biofilter & puttin it inside the strainer..

fishfool58 said:
Well I had a few get stuck to it, but I'd go to lift the thing up so it would lose the suction, & when I touched the intake tube, the shrimp would shoot off.. Like they were picking at the stuff my filter.. & i was thinking about cutting a biofilter & puttin it inside the strainer..

Or invest in sponge filter I got mine off eBay for 7 shipping included

Fishandmusic81 said:
Or invest in sponge filter I got mine off eBay for 7 shipping included

Alright, guess ill have too :p is there a limit on how many shrimp I could keep in a 10 gal?

Alright, guess ill have too :p is there a limit on how many shrimp I could keep in a 10 gal?

Red Cherry Shrimp only?

Aqadvisor says with a good sponge filter (I used the one I have, the Azoo #8, but also ran the numbers with the small #1 filter as the only filtration), you can keep 90 red cherries in there and be at a 83% stocking level.

Me, I think that's way too many, too full.

I'd say safely 30-50 for the look I'd want and have room left when they bred.

Which ever size you think fits best in the tank. The dimensions are listed. The #8 fits nicely in the corner of my 29. You can cut the uplift tube in case it's too tall for your 10G. It also comes with a spare sponge.

It will definitely provide you with sufficient filtration for a ten.

All you'll need is an air pump (I use the Aqua Culture cheapos from Walmart, they also come with free check valves) and some airline and an adjustable valve so you can monitor the air flow.

When you clean the filter, you remove the sponge and squeeze it out in a bucket of siphoned tank water. Do not take it to the sink and clean it out as it will ruin the biofilter.

hpiguy said:
Which ever size you think fits best in the tank. The dimensions are listed. The #8 fits nicely in the corner of my 29. You can cut the uplift tube in case it's too tall for your 10G. It also comes with a spare sponge.

It will definitely provide you with sufficient filtration for a ten.

All you'll need is an air pump (I use the Aqua Culture cheapos from Walmart, they also come with free check valves) and some airline and an adjustable valve so you can monitor the air flow.

When you clean the filter, you remove the sponge and squeeze it out in a bucket of siphoned tank water. Do not take it to the sink and clean it out as it will ruin the biofilter.

Okay, the 8 is rated for a 65 gallon, I'll enjoy that filter in my 10.. I've never had a sponge filter, how exactly does it work? I know there's no carbon or anything? & okay, walmart it is! Ha..

The flow of air up the intake tube draws water with it through the sponge and out the top. It's a very gentle flow through the sponge.

Since it's in a ten, you can adjust it to a low flow with the air valve and the shrimp probably won't even notice it.

Since you do frequent WCs and have lots of plants, you won't need carbon for anything.

hpiguy said:
The flow of air up the intake tube draws water with it through the sponge and out the top. It's a very gentle flow through the sponge.

Since it's in a ten, you can adjust it to a low flow with the air valve and the shrimp probably won't even notice it.

Since you do frequent WCs and have lots of plants, you won't need carbon for anything.

Awesome, that seems easy enough.. & yeah, all I do is siphon 50% every Wednesday..

Back
Top Bottom