Do Ramshorn snails eat surface scum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temporary Saint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I've got a healthy, exploding population of Ramshorn snails in my 55g Walstad tank. I notice a lot of them like to float upside down at the water's surface, and then drop down intentionally after a while. I can see their mouths working on the water's surface. Are they eating the surface scum?

Steve

Not positive I see mine doing it and they are breathing for sure. My outside tank is green water and red root floaters. (Hoping to get a Daphnia colony going when I can pic one up from a guy who sometimes has extras.)

I did not think I had any snails in there but lo and behold there was a very large one just skimming the water, lost his grip before I could get a pic and then later saw a couple more and got a few pics - https://www.instagram.com/p/B1VMCZEp15k/

There isn't an air bubbler in there and now that it is full, it isn't next to an electrical outlet. Do you think they are eating? It is possible but I don't really see stuff on the surface for them to eat. They might have microscopic organisms there at the top

Back
Top Bottom