Does my mystery snail need a calcium supplement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a mystery snail to my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. My PH has been at 7.4 for 5 or more years-never fluctuates. The GH has been (6drops)100 ppm, and KH 2-3 drops. I am waiting for a meter to test TDS but it’s not here yet. My question is with available information do I need to supplement calcium? Will it raise my ph? I’ve never added snails or shrimp to my tanks before and want to make sure the snails is ok, not changes other perimeters in my take harm my fish, snail, or future bamboo shrimp. My fis have been very healthy and rarely ever loose one. (They will die of old age eventually)

Got any tap readings for kh?

Ones here will do ok but the kh reading looks borderline ok. I added cuttlefish bone which grew algae and that seemed to help. I think you can get supplements over there but it’s mainly that kh I would watch. Gh would be fine for ones here. If tap kh and ph are higher, a bigger water change could just boost that naturally. It’s good your tank doesn’t drop lower on ph. On mine with CO2 injection they got pitting in the shell and I had to shift them to another tank.

Back
Top Bottom