Dying cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my current set up I have cherry shrimp and cherry shrimp. Also have panda loaches. In the last three days I have lost about a half a dozen cherry shrimp. The fish and crystal shrimp are fine.

Ph is stable at 7.1
Ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrates are about 10ppm

Temp is at 70. I know cherrys like it a bit warmer but untill past few days they been doing find. Had them at this temp for over three months.

Did notice a ton of shredded shells in tank. More then usual. Could this be a hardmess issue. Any other ideals

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Forgot to add that all the dead were adults. Juveniles and babies seem fine but could be that cause they are smaller I am not finding bodies

Temp is fine for RCS so as you haven't had problems before I would check Gh and Kh. Gh should be 4-14 degrees and Kh 0-10 degrees. I keep mine at 6dGh and 6dKh but stability is the key. Adults quite often die from shedding problems but also they don't have a terrifically long life. Mine are in an community aquarium, 78f, and their life span is shortened but they have bred like mad. Shrimps are quite carnivorous and I rarely find a dead shrimp although I've seen a few being devoured by a 'pack' of other shrimp. They also eat the shedded shells to recover the calcium, so don't remove them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

These were def dead shrimp. Dying has stopped. Did a few giant wcs. Only thing I can think of is I used some bugspray in a dif room. Maybe some residue made it too tank

Back
Top Bottom