Electric blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A wild crayfish is used to eating little fish, no fish pellets in the stream/pond. So really good at catching little fish and stuff. Tank raised maybe less finesse but it is in their nature.[/

I coulden't agree more, Given the opportunity to catch a fish the wild crayfish will be better equipped to actually catch it.

I have one in a twenty gallon. Without caves and a good diet of pellets they will hunt the fish. If they are too successful they will always continue to hunt. Mine has claimed some fish mostly dying/sick though a couple healthy ones as well. With a good cave and food, he does not try though no bottoms dwellers! He might not eat them but will harass and stress them to death...... and then eat them. A bigger tank is necessary for a good community and adding this one to a small tank will most likely be a chore to keep him satisfied. I only have a pearl gourami and three guppies which he doesn't bother. I did find it out the hard way and lost guppies and one pleco, anything on his level, the bottom, will have to deal with him and they are relentless in that situation. Though they are cool as hell. Also bigger fish will try and attack them when molting so they can die or lose limbs(mine is without a pincher because I tried to have an electric blue jack Dempsey in with it)

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399517866060.jpg
    1399517866060.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 109
Have you ever considered a Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish? They don't grow to a large size and are too small to generally hurt anything.

I had one with some Corydoras and various tetras. He/She died after a month, but here is what it looked like:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400643114.065860.jpg

Back
Top Bottom