Electric blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering getti g one for 5$ from LFS 25 min away ... May put in 29 with 2 snails cory cat guppies and a dwarf gourami or In 20 gal with guppies an 1 snail

They can chop your fish in half or part, though my friend had one in a 55G and it pretty much stayed in the bottom 1/3 or the tank and had a rock cave it stayed in a lot. Bottom fish could be chopped, or might just learn to stay away, but if the blue cray wanted to run around the tank all fish could be at risk! She had a Hi Fin Pleco. Maybe a catfish , can't remember for sure.

Just know they would all be in danger... or maybe fine, just realize you would be taking the chance with any fish in there.

So don't let them be your special or prized or expensive anything!

They are beautiful!

Check in with KJacks might have baby blues on the horizon, there is a mating /breeding pair there!

I have one in my 55 with cories, danios, snails and shrimp and is yet to bother anything. I've had him about 6 weeks and he's active quite often.

I wouldn't risk it. Crayfish are nocturnal and would eat your sleeping fish

I have one that was in my 140 but was eating my plants ( expected) but the tank he was sprung a leak so it was best option till he got bigger... Hes now been in my 125 mbuna tank and doing great! Its 6 foot with tons of rocks and caves... And fake plants to break sight lines and for fry...

Attachments

• image-1828322583.jpg
    image-1828322583.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 172
I may try it I my male guppys and endlers and 1 snail tank but its 20 til its bigger or should I try start in 29 with cory cats ad female guppys plus 1 gourami and 2 snails

I think guppies and endlers have a better chance, being quicker and mid to top swimmers. If you're worried about your fish the cories are the ones it will get. But like I said mine has left my cories alone.

well that is a big tank and few fish and since the blue cray that the person who started this thread is still quite small im guessing that is might be quicker and since guppies or/livebearers are a food source for crays in many places i wouldnt risk it your guppies would be gone in days.

Three weeks ago I put 12 minnows in my native tank with my crayfish (got him out of a local river).. I put them in there for the fish in the tank but I saw my crayfish catch 4 before they were finished off by the bigger fish. And thats what i saw it might be more. So I wouldn't put him with anything you're not willing to lose. That said they're extremely fun to watch. And mine might only be so good at it because he's camouflaged. Being blue might change how successful he is. They are diligent though one day he will get a fish. IMHO

K so I got another dwarf gourami instead its at in small bucket with a new female guppy to replace one I lost ... Hoping it gets along with honey sunset dwarf gourami if not the honey will go to 20 and new will stay in 29 cuz it gets 1 inc larger

I'm sorry you couldn't add the crayfish to the tank. They really are fun to watch and really active. If you're still Interested in a crayfish though I read a marbled crayfish keeps well with fish. Not to long ago someone was selling them for a dollar apiece plus shipping in the calssifieds section. Agian this is what I have read you might want to ask someone who's more fimilar with them. I was looking at getting one but my spare 10 gallon tank just isn't enough and they multiply like crazy.

I'm stuck to local stuff I can't afford shipping costs :( lol pretty poor on fast food job .. Haha
In hoping to try my first fish auction In a month or two

I understand I worked at Kroger for minimum wage job for over a year after I graduated high school. That's part of the reason I got a native fish tank. Around here as long as you have a fishing license and the fish are big enough to keep as food or bait you can keep them for your aquarium. I am a fisherman (I hope that doesn't get me shunned) so I already had the license so all I did was keep a couple fish I would have thrown back. Then I brought them home in a bucket and slowly acclimate them. But anyone interested in this needs to check local and state laws before they go out and try to catch fish for a tank it's illegal in some places...

Three weeks ago I put 12 minnows in my native tank with my crayfish (got him out of a local river).. I put them in there for the fish in the tank but I saw my crayfish catch 4 before they were finished off by the bigger fish. And thats what i saw it might be more. So I wouldn't put him with anything you're not willing to lose. That said they're extremely fun to watch. And mine might only be so good at it because he's camouflaged. Being blue might change how successful he is. They are diligent though one day he will get a fish. IMHO

A wild crayfish is used to eating little fish, no fish pellets in the stream/pond. So really good at catching little fish and stuff. Tank raised maybe less finesse but it is in their nature.

Back
Top Bottom