Extra food for nerites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will they eat veggies like the mystery snail? My 30g has not a spot of algae any where (I have 8 in there) and I'm worried they're not eating enough. They won't touch algae tabs.

Sent from my iPhone

I had a cucumber in for my Otos earlier today, and one of my nerites found it and latched on like there's no tomorrow. I've also seen them eat blanched kale.

Did you cook the cucber first or just tie it to a rock?

Were the ottos all about it?

We tried sea weed and no one touched it. Snails, farlawala, ottos shrimp... No one liked it.

Sent from my iPhone

I've done both blanched and raw cucumber. I think they like the blanched better.

I used to feed them a lot of kale. Within 5 mins of the kale being put into the tank, it was an oto party! I think I had all 7 of them on it at one time. My otos have become very skittish lately though, and now only seem to feed at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will do cucumber tonight. I think we still have tons of algae for now but my 30g is completely clean so the 8 snails I'm there could probably use some extra food.

On the subject of ottos, do yours try to school with other fish? I have seven and they often follow the zebra danios around in a v like ducks. Super cute. In the 180 for algae control I have 18 nerites, 7 ottos, 10 amomo, and 1 farlawala.

Sent from my iPhone

It seems like if I bring a couple home, one would always try to follow my zebras. It was pretty funny. Then they got skittish. I had a plastic cave, they would hide in that all day. Now they pretty much hang out on my driftwood until it gets dark.

I think it might be due to the unhealthy plants I had. I really let them go. Working on nursing them back to health though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom