Favorite fish with Cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Yes, not everyone wants little fish in with their shrimp. :whistle:

I am looking for those who have them together and have a fairly peaceable kingdom, and if you have tried different fish which ones did you like, not like?

It seems so many of the little/micro/nano fish are predatory to shrimp.

With my shrimp, I have White Cloud Mountain Minnows in one tank with the red Cherries and Chili Rasbora Briggittae in with the blue Cherries and CPO & babies in the other. So far have lots of shrimp babies and things seem to be going fine between fish and shrimp, and so far with the CPO (more recent addition).

Personally I find the Chilis to be pretty delicate, at least from the supplier I have gotten mine from. I am trying to decide to try something else, or a different supplier too.

CPD - So stunning!

Have heard CPD (Celestial Pearl Danios) "hunt" so they would eat babies, I suppose. If I wasn't trying to build my stock I would try them out, just to see, they are so beautiful.

Same I heard for Badis Badis, Scarlet Gem. Passed one up which was sooooo cute for $6., due to the predatory comments on behavior.

Yeah I could imagine that pretty much any fish that will eat BBS or daphnia will go after a newborn shrimplet. The key with that though is to maybe pick a fish that spends all of its time in the upper column away from the babies. Finding one that does that for certain would require a lot of research or actual study, since opinions on it are extremey subjective.

Dwarf Corys (Corydoras Hastatus) I have 10 of them in my shrimp tank. Only thing I will keep with shrimp except Otos.

I have my CRS with Ember Tetras and Pygmy Cory's and they all coexist just fine. Feeding time is fun and frantic.

threadfin rainbows and tetras may not eat adult shrimp, but babies would surely be toast. IMO the only fish safe with dwarf shrimp are small cories (panda, pygmy), BN plecos, Otos, and snails.

Any fish that you'd feed Baby brine/daphnia to when they are young will make quick work of baby shrimp. Some of the baby shrimp may survive of there's enough hiding places.

If the soul purpose is to breed/raise the shrimp for fun/profit it's best to keep them by themselves.

I got 4 bosami rainbows, 2 Cory's , one butterfly loach, 1 albino bristle nose pleco, 3 zebra danios and 4 sarpae tetras. When the shrimp are out they don't even go near them. I got a planted 90 gallon.

I am enjoying seeing what you keep together.

For the moment babies are an objective for me so I have been keeping it simple. Eventually that won't be the objective in one tank and I would have some flexibility with keeping adult shrimp. Finally getting the 72 gallon bowfront up this week.

With a larger tank, lighter or not over stocked, well planted tank, I can see there would also be less stress for the fish and more places for the adult shrimp to hang out.

My fancy tail male guppies are too busy playing around swimming to notice my shrimplets. They're not opportunistic eaters like the pregnant females that are constantly on the hunt for food. My males only eat when I feed them, unlike a lot of fish that are constantly scrounging around. 5x flame moss pads that are 8 inches tall help the shrimplets avoid consumption, but the threat is so minimal that I see them out and about with all the adults and rarely in the moss. Only fresh newborns are visible in there and once they realize it's safe after a few days, they come out.

Back
Top Bottom