Favorite Shrimp Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, if they're not cleaning substrate...they're just decoration.

I definitely keep shrimp for decorative purposes and not for cleaning. I don't find them very effective at that.

Shadowraven said:
I live in a suburb of Dayton, OH. Quite a little ways from ya'll.

If the guy knows how to ship, that shouldn't be too far. I'm in VA, you must be a semi-insomniac like me.

siva said:
I definitely keep shrimp for decorative purposes and not for cleaning. I don't find them very effective at that.

Is that through experience with RCS? I had previously gotten the impression they were great at cleaning substrate and plants. Not sure I want 1,000 shrimp in there if they're not providing a cleaning service, lol.

Yes. Well I have 5 kinds of dwarf shrimp and RCS do seem to be the best of 'em as far as cleaning they still aren't very effective. Not in a larger tank anyway. I still keep bottom feeders and algae eaters. I mean maybe if you really did have a thousand lol

What about the micro crabs..maybe you should do those instead/also :rainbowafro:

I was thinking about adding those as well for variety. They are just too cool. I would think that they should have no more bioload than the shrimp do.

I also saw another little critter on the Planet Invert site that looked pretty interesting. Hard as heck to find them though. Full freshwater critters too that only get to about 4cm in size. It is called Aegla sp. argentina. It isn't a crab or a crayfish, but a decapod crustacean. Here is what it looks like:
36852-albums1602-picture10899.png

You can find the Panet Invert write-up on it at this link.

Pretty cool looking little critter if you ask me.

My 48 gallons only been up a couple months so it's not very established, so I'm gonna have to supplement their diet one way or another. I'll probably throw in 15-20 RCS this week, then add some Corys and/or Otos in a bit if it's not pristine.

Thanks to everyone...especially Shadow who let us turn this into a shrimp information thread, lol. Headin to bed, good night.

If the guy knows how to ship, that shouldn't be too far. I'm in VA, you must be a semi-insomniac like me.

Yeah, I can't go to sleep too early, can I! Not when there are aquariums to discuss!!!!;)

I also work a job were I don't get off work until 11:30 PM and then get home at 12:00 AM. I usually don't make it to bed before 4:00 AM. I would tend to keep that schedule anyway. I've never been able to get up early in the morning. I am just NOT a morning person. Not unless you consider this the morning!!!:rolleyes:

Is that through experience with RCS? I had previously gotten the impression they were great at cleaning substrate and plants. Not sure I want 1,000 shrimp in there if they're not providing a cleaning service, lol.

OMG, not 1,000 shrimp! We're being overrun boys. Quick, somebody get the cocktail sauce! It's going to be a fight to the death for dominion of the tank!:2gunfire:

I know all about Aegla sp. argentina ;) I think I have researched every freshwater invert there is! Well maybe not but almost :)

My thai micro crabs should be here Thursday. I'm pretty excited :lol: I ordered 12. I'm paid out the wazoo for shipping :(

I know all about Aegla sp. argentina ;) I think I have researched every freshwater invert there is! Well maybe not but almost :)

My thai micro crabs should be here Thursday. I'm pretty excited :lol: I ordered 12. I'm paid out the wazoo for shipping :(

Be sure to let us know how they do. I'm really curious to see how they get along in a community aquarium. If they do well in yours, I'm going to look at getting some of them myself.

I really love crabs. They are so much fun to watch. when I first kept them long ago, I was heartbroken when the ones I had died on me in a month. That's when I started doing some serious research on them to find out what went wrong. Too late I found out that they need brackish water and a place to crawl out of the aquarium occasionally.

It would have been nice if the LFS had informed me of their requirements. But it is likely that the people working there had no idea. Shops really need to make sure that their people are educated on the stock they keep. That and when they do know, they need to educate the customer about keeping the animal. Especially if it has special needs like crabs do.

:soap: OK, I'm stepping down now. Rant over.

Yes I will. I'm working on a paludarium for my vampire crabs..they are pretty awesome as well :D

Back
Top Bottom