feeding apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got two apple snails. I found lots of info on what they eat, but I'm a little worried about adding food to the tank that stays uneaten too long. How best to feed them?

I have algea wafers, they seem to like those. Also, I have a lot of live plants, but not much algea growing in the tank (touch wood)

They are not primary algae eaters, they're clean up eaters, if you will. They like a variety of foods, including some with protein. They often eat left over fish food and dead plants. If you are offering some veggies, take out any uneaten after a day or two. If it's protein, remove uneaten stuff in a day.

Are they apple snails or mystery snails? If it's a pomacea diffusa (mystery), then they'll eat any of the fish food. Mine loves freeze-dried bloodworms as much as the algae tabs. If it's a Florida apple snail then they're plant eaters.

Are they apple snails or mystery snails? If it's a pomacea diffusa (mystery), then they'll eat any of the fish food. Mine loves freeze-dried bloodworms as much as the algae tabs. If it's a Florida apple snail then they're plant eaters.

I believe they are pomacea diffusa

Just wanted to report back:

I clamped a blanched slice of baby marrow to the side of my tank with some algea cleaning magnets and the snails were chomping on that like anything.

And today I spotted one of them near the surface, making a little funnel out of itself that sucked at the surface water. I sprinkled some flakes on the water and it sucked them all in, trapped them against the glass and then ate everything.

I never knew snails could be so entertaining!

I love my snails! They are gross and fascinating and I wouldn't have it any other way. I drop an algae wafer in every other day. I have also tried blanched veggies, carrots, spinach, and marrow. My nerite snails seem to like them, but my mystery snail isn't interested.

I get a big kick out of the way they can manipulate their foot. It's pretty versatile for something that looks so basic.

Very small snails can actually glide on the underside of the water meniscus, because they're light enough not to break the surface tension. That's way cool to watch, even if you aren't keen on the little guys. I've seen the small ramshorns and bladder snails both do this often.

Back
Top Bottom