Fenbendazole dosing instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to resolve a planaria problem in my shrimp tank. I found Fish Bendazole by Thomas Laboratories on Amazon. 250mg Fenbendazole Powder
Has anyone used this product for removing planaria? If so, what dosage did you use? My tank is 20g. It has RCS, MTS, and Rams horn snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey, Using Goat Dewormer - same medication only in liquid is better imo, and it is in a easier to quantify amount. I have an old thread about it, worked perfectly.

I can look for it. Safe Guard Dewormer for goats in a 10% suspension, available at farm and livestock supply stores and online as well.

Hey, Using Goat Dewormer - same medication only in liquid is better imo, and it is in a easier to quantify amount. I have an old thread about it, worked perfectly.

I can look for it. Safe Guard Dewormer for goats in a 10% suspension, available at farm and livestock supply stores and online as well.

Wish I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I have the FenBen but I have not opened it yet.

Here second page
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/planaria-220067-2.html
or try this one
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/planaria-220067-2.html

I think dog med version is a different % to calculate so you can't use the same figures as the liquid.

Please note: For those on the mobile app...switch to Web View first before clicking on the link. Otherwise, you will be sent to a thread from 2002. Yikes!
Oh the math in this thread. Will take a few times for me to look at before it sinks in.
Thanks for both of these posts!
Last week I managed to kill at least a dozen at one time. They were feasting on a dead Rams horn snail and a blast if glut took them out. It made me realize how many there were in the tank.
I am going to break out the scale this weekend and try the FenBen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! Sorry to hear about the accident and loss.

[Tried to fix the link. It magically posted it with the url brackets...I didn't add -weird, must be a glitch. You can check it on app both ways in your quote box text to see.]

Good luck with the math :)

The dry stuff doesn't emulsify in liquid very nicely either so you are possible not as accurate with the dosage. And I would think more important for vacuuming the substrate after treatment to try to make sure to get any particles that don't dissolve.

Liquid was a breeze. Just sayin'! If you buy the liquid try to get the longest out expiration date if you have a choice.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the accident and loss.

[Tried to fix the link. It magically posted it with the url brackets...I didn't add -weird, must be a glitch. You can check it on app both ways in your quote box text to see.]

Good luck with the math :)

The dry stuff doesn't emulsify in liquid very nicely either so you are possible not as accurate with the dosage. And I would think more important for vacuuming the substrate after treatment to try to make sure to get any particles that don't dissolve.

Liquid was a breeze. Just sayin'! If you buy the liquid try to get the longest out expiration date if you have a choice.

The loss is a good thing. I should have been more clear. This is in my shrimp tank, however, the creatures feasting on the dead snail were 1-2 dozen planaria. Nuked them with glut.
I've heard of folks mixing the dry powder in a fixed amount of water (in an attempt to dissolve it) and then dosing accordingly.

The loss is a good thing. I should have been more clear. This is in my shrimp tank, however, the creatures feasting on the dead snail were 1-2 dozen planaria. Nuked them with glut.
I've heard of folks mixing the dry powder in a fixed amount of water (in an attempt to dissolve it) and then dosing accordingly.

LOL - Okay, yes THAT was a good loss!!!

Here's an update. I finally opened the jar of fenbendazole. It contained three packets of 250 mg of FenBen. I found a dosage rate of 0.1 g (or 100 mg) per 10 gallons on this AA post from a few years back. So I emptied the contents of one packet into a small ziplock baggie. Using a lacrosse ball (it's quieter than a rubber mallet) I firmly rolled it over the bag to pulverize the crystals into a fine powder. I then added 100 mL DI water to the baggie, swished, and dumped into a clean, plastic drinking water bottle. I used another 100 mL of water to rinse out the baggie and funnel.
I shook the heck out of it and set it aside (had to go to work). So now I have 250 mg in 200 mL of water. For a 20 gallon tank I need to add about 160 mL of the FenBen solution to achieve a dosage of 100 mg/10 gal or 200 mg/20 gal.
Does the math look correct?
I will be dosing this in the morning.

Last edited:
I added the meds...tank is cloudy. Will be checking on the shrimp from time to time. As for the planaria, they only come out in numbers when food is present. I will gives the FenBen time to work and will drop in an algae wafer in the morning.
Cloudy tank:
cABFgfth.jpg

Update: Checked on the shrimp (oh, there are two baby endlers swimming in the tank also) last night and all were fine. Did not see any planaria, dead or alive.
This morning I dropped in a small bottom feeder wafer. Within a few minutes it drew some shrimp. However, like clockwork the planaria started to appear. Probably a dozen within 10 minutes. Very discouraging. I will add more FenBen (after crushing it into a powder and premixing it first).
I am also going to explore a worm trap option as well.

That's a pretty good post you found. Maybe it takes a little longer sometimes?

The post I am following says to dose every 24 hours. So this evening I will repeat the process.
Maybe in the AM I will drop in half a pellet and see who shows up.

I once had a plenara problem in my shrimp tank. I'm not sure what got rid of it, but many small baby fish will eat them. I think all I did was put a few fry in my tank. After a little while I took them out and put them back in the main tank and a plenera we're gone

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last night did a second dose. This morning I dropped in a small wafer (the dinner bell).
Bad news: I still see planaria.
Good news: I only counted 3-4 this time as opposed to 12+ yesterday morning.
Perhaps I need to give it more time. I might wait another 24-48 hours and check again for planaria after feeding.

Silly question but where do they go if/when they die?

Back to the depths hell I hope.
I have heard that with any die-off, an ammonia spike could occur. They will probably die under hardscape and in the substrate.

DIY worm trap!
Hbqqxcph.jpg

I used an API test tube and cap plus a short length of rigid airline tubing. I would have used a longer piece of rigid tubing but it is going through the cap at a angle and would have touched the side wall (easier escape). The tube slides out so I can try a different length if necessary. The inner end is crimped a bit (result of cutting it) so that should help.
I dropped in a small wafer, added water, capped it and set it in a quiet corner. I imagine it will be a while before it stirs any interest since there is no active flow to disperse the scent of food. However, the inquisitive endler fry are lingering in the vicinity.
Now we wait...

Though snails and shrimp have shown interest in the worm trap by lingering at its entrance, there are no signs of planaria in or around the trap.
I dropped in a half wafer (Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cat Scrapers) and waited. Shrimp and snails gathered around but no planaria. Very encouraging.
No third dose needed. Not really sure if a second dose was needed. Time was needed. Did a water change tonight.
I have noticed a different type of worm present. These have been in there from the start but in very low number. I believe they are a different type of flatworm; fluke perhaps. They do not glide while moving. It's more of an extension/contraction type. They move extremely slowly though. Not too concerned with these. I believe they also react poorly to an Excel/Glut shot.

Back
Top Bottom