First Mystery Snail. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I ordered my first Mystery Snail. It will be a baby Magenta. (About a dime size maybe a tad smaller) I have only had one other snail before it was Nerite. He will be in a 10 gallon tank with 1 Betta and 5 Neon Tetras. The tank will be live planted.

I was hoping to get some tips on how to make him happiest. About how much should I feed him? 'He will be okay with no other snails right? And anything else you have learned form your own experiences

Also I do a 25% water change every Sunday. Do you think I will need to do them more often or do a sbig water change to make up for his waste or do you think it will be okay?

Magenta snails are so pretty! While he's small your water change schedule should be fine. They will scavenge but also offer algae wafers and blanched veggies. whatever veggies aren't eaten within a day I take out of the tank. with a snail that small I would only do a piece of a wafer and a small piece of veggies. I give zuchinni and I just did peas yesterday. Sometimes I have also given green pepper, some do cucumbers. I feed my snails daily but mine are mostly large sized. I give veggies every other day to every third day. They will also eat leftover fish food.

Will he eat up brown algea and diatoms on plants?
When he starts to grow will I need to up my water changes?

They do eat algae, I don't think I've had brown algae so I don't know about that. Not sure about the diatoms either. and Yes as the snail gets bigger your bioload will get bigger and you will need to change more water as they produce a lot of waste.

Back
Top Bottom