first time dad (bnp) help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
overnight our smallest female laid eggs with our smallest male who is a first time dad ... wanting a bit of advice ... he has been fanning the eggs however he keeps coming out of the cave for a bit swimming around tank but he does keep going back in the cave for few mins then coming back out ... should we just leave him to it as he keeps going back in and fanning etc the other male seems to not be interfering or trying to go in the cave so they seem to be safe from him and the females not bothering either .... i dont really want to take the eggs away as he first time dad and dont want it happening every time in future if take them away and he cant learn ( about 30 eggs) how to look after future batches unless i really have to

Congrats. They can be really cute to watch, protect and then see the little babies. Mine get routinely eaten in the 72G community tank. I will sometimes see a baby and try to grab it.

I forget how long they guard them, even after they hatch, he will keep them safe and growing up. I did save some a few times. Once I tool the whole cave and poppa out together and they did well at first then the cave got bumped to a sideways position, where the water wasn't circulating into the cave and I lost most all of them.

My cave is a long clay one and they haven't really put eggs there after the 3rd time, now just behind the big DW. But I can never see them.

I would let him guard in the community tank, and get another tank ready for them to go into when it seems they are hatched, using the same water from the tank. If you want to raise them. Otherwise just let nature take its course.

My friend would raise these guys by the tub, as in big plastic totes!!!

Congrats. They can be really cute to watch, protect and then see the little babies. Mine get routinely eaten in the 72G community tank. I will sometimes see a baby and try to grab it.

I forget how long they guard them, even after they hatch, he will keep them safe and growing up. I did save some a few times. Once I tool the whole cave and poppa out together and they did well at first then the cave got bumped to a sideways position, where the water wasn't circulating into the cave and I lost most all of them.

My cave is a long clay one and they haven't really put eggs there after the 3rd time, now just behind the big DW. But I can never see them.

I would let him guard in the community tank, and get another tank ready for them to go into when it seems they are hatched, using the same water from the tank. If you want to raise them. Otherwise just let nature take its course.

My friend would raise these guys by the tub, as in big plastic totes!!!
he seems to have sorted himself out now after the other male went in there (he didnt do anything to the eggs luckily except fanning them) who an experienced male .... we already got a fry tank set up with a small external filter on it its already got 2 batches in there so once these have hatched they be going in there too but only them dad will stay in breeding tank (hopefully there not be other eggs in the cave from the other male too.. but on other hand we want them lol) then once the bigger ones are big enough to not get sucked up the filter outtake they be going into the breeding tank so probay in about 2 weeks hopefully they be big enough ....the batch that the new daddy got has about 30 eggs so wont make too much of a difference going in the fry tank lol

the parents to the batch this post is about are both first time small parents so the batches will only get bigger for them our other females are laying about 100 or more each as they bigger

Sorry but you people are talking about what species? Bnp i thought Bristle nose pleco

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom