Fish for hard water shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tried neons but they didn't last. I still have 2 of the 5. My pH is high, about 7.6-8.0. Somewhere in that region. My GH is about 250-300ppm.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405986212.772976.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My pH is 8.4-ish and I do not have issues keeping common community fish alive. Maybe your neons were sick to begin with.

They are all gone now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My pH is 8.4-ish and I do not have issues keeping common community fish alive. Maybe your neons were sick to begin with.

I agree. My pH is also around 7.8 and I have kept neons as well as other supposedly soft water fish with success. Most aquarium fish in your LFS will be raised in local tap water and already accustomed to the natural hardness and pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You may want to try some DW.

And yes, if you are trying to get the numbers of them up, fish are not good to mix. If you get too many RCS add fish and it should work out great. If you don't care about raising the numbers, the adults can live well together with smaller fish, like a Chili Rasbora. Even my other nano fish will snack on tiny ones, like Celestial Pearl Danios for instance. Beautiful fish though, and if you have a breeding tank and a show tank that is great.

The question relating to pH is also that they do get used to higher pH water for most types of fish. And locally bred and raised fish would be a solution.

Back
Top Bottom