Fish that eat snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank is actually on the third day of a fishes cycle so I'm not feeding anything, would the snail survive that?

Iv hot good news and bad news. Good news I found a snail and I removed it. Bad news it wast the original snail I saw, this one was smaller

I have kuhli loaches and confirm that they do NOT eat snails or even have an impact on their eggs (thereby doing nothing to control them)

I do however have dwarf chain loaches and within about a week of getting them my snail population went from about 60 to approximately 10 :)

Sadly they also diminished the shrimp population too :-(

I have 2 kuhli loaches they keep my tank snail free (the trick is not to have any other foods avail for them to eat)
I have used this method well over 30 years they scavenge all the eggs off the plants and also munch on any snails they find
yes the chain loaches are good workers also another good worker is the upside down catfish

That response answers the question, but it isn't right to add fish or loaches to tanks just to clean out snails. Mumma is hitting the nail on the head here..

they are cleaners and help eliminate pests (y)

54seaweed said:
I have 2 kuhli loaches they keep my tank snail free (the trick is not to have any other foods avail for them to eat)
I have used this method well over 30 years they scavenge all the eggs off the plants and also munch on any snails they find
yes the chain loaches are good workers also another good worker is the upside down catfish

I don't think I'd feel right not feeding my bottom fish. Glad it works for you. I just put out a piece of food , once snails are on it I just net them out.
I like my snails as long as they don't overpopulate.

Iv sort of got in under control, in the evenings I'll keep an eye in my tank that's when most of them go to the top of the tank so I'll be able to get about 4 out in one night then I won't see any for a few days then I'll see another 4 in the evening and I'll remove them. Kolie loaches, are they generally good at removing any uneaten food?

Mine do a great job :) I feed algae wafers every so often and there is plenty of foods in my tank for them. Down side is I think my kuhlis have eaten all my shrimp :-/

I might throw 2 or 3 in my tank. Iv noticed my tiger barbs bite into the food then it explodes into like a thousand pieces and it doesn't get eaten :(
Do weather loaches do the same jobs as kolie loaches?

Banana mouse said:
I might throw 2 or 3 in my tank. Iv noticed my tiger barbs bite into the food then it explodes into like a thousand pieces and it doesn't get eaten :(
Do weather loaches do the same jobs as kolie loaches?

You need 5-6 or more IMO

I know lol iv got one in my mums tank he's fully grown. I want to take him out and put him in my tropical because my mum doesn't know much about fish. She uses tap water to fill the tank and doesn't treat it so that kills the bacteria in the filter. That's the first fish I bought so I might take him and put him in a 200L (he's in a 30L at the moment I think?)

Back
Top Bottom