Fish with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kinds of fish can be kept safely with shrimp. I was gifted 6 small tiny red shrimp, and I love them! I currently have 6 neon tetras 3 honey gouramies one bn pleco and one turquoise rainbow( I figure he needs to go ). Oh I have a 75 gal planted tank and I want lots of shrimp.

They can be housed together provided you have loads and loads of hiding places for the bay shrimp.

No fish are truly fish safe, but it can be done.

Given you only have 6 shrimp, I don't think that will be enough to provide a base for a thriving colony.

Expect to find dried up shrimp on the floor next to they tank and expect fish to eat the shrimp, babies are easy while adults usually jump if fish are chasing them. I usually find 1-3 dried up shrimp per week next to my shrimp + fish tank.

I keep my shrimp with my boraras and clown killifish without any problems plenty off baby shrimps!

Thanks! I will probably stay with what I have for now, my local fish store gave me credit on the rainbow I had. So the rest of the fish should be ok. I want to get a lot more shrimp in my tank and get them well established before I add anymore fish. I think..

This is my tank that I will be starting a colony of cherry shrimp. Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 83BCEF06-4D1E-4EBC-A598-EFD5A28D9CCB.jpg
    83BCEF06-4D1E-4EBC-A598-EFD5A28D9CCB.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 76
This is my tank that I will be starting a colony of cherry shrimp. Any suggestions welcome.

What are your water parameters?

Cherry shrimp are usually hardy, but only the offspring will be hardy in your tank water.

Usually the adults so not do so well during moves, so expect a few to die. But, the babies born in the tank will be much more hardy.

Typically you'll want a pH of 7.0-7.5, kH of 2-5 and gH of 6-10. But, most freshwater setups will work fine as long as you have a few successful hatches.

Only the rainbow is main threat. All other fish will not hunt shrimps but will definitely go after babies. You need a lot of moss and hiding places but 6 shrimps are not a good number to start with. Shrimps sometimes die when introduced to new tank. Some die even after 25 days. First 30 days are crucial. Also shrimps like cold water so not all fish are compatible but fish you listed can work. But better buy more shrimps. 15 or 20 and let them breed and grow.

Back
Top Bottom