Floating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AW05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1477093210.241866.jpg

Why do snails float for a few hours to a few days... None were floating before a water change now 4 are floating half open and seem kinda lifeless...

the floating ones are probably dead. Floating is never good

No change and they aren't dead they are still moving

they are def stressed.is there any white slime around the edges of the shell opening?
if so remove all & put them in a bowl of treated tap water until they return to normal.( if this happens on every large WC,then use another water source for recovery)
having killed my share of mystery snails they look like less than 24hrs till death.
what changed with your water supply?
copper traces will do that in under an hour.(dead in 6)
if cause is unknown place them in a bowl of bottled/distilled water until you figure out the reason.(where you may/not see the white slime)
a large temp swing during water change can do that but it would need to be greater than 5-8C.
floating is their fight/flight response for survival,float to surface & allow wind/current to move them rapidly away from present undesirable location.
the ones on the bottom remove those 1st ,smell the opening of the shell you'll know instantly if its dead. smell the rest as you remove put those in a different container.(unlikely any survivors in the smelly group)

No slim... And it happens after water change and sometimes just randomly. I am going to get a copper test kit today. My water in all my other fish tanks are good "I have well water with a good filter/water" my planted/snail tank is the only tank that gives me trouble. I use prime and stress coat on every water change along with my flourish products for plants. Other than that I only add Kent calcium or api calcium.

I keep my water in tank around 76 degs and I put in the same temp water on water changes

flourish comprehensive contains copper in a small amount,seachem claims it will not hurt snails when used as directed.(0.001%)
however if you are applying more than directed there maybe a build up?
when it comes to dosing "More" is not usually better,check the other products you use.
the best snail forum i found when i was having problems.
Applesnail.net • View forum - Apple snails

plenty to read there maybe something there will give you that "DOH" realization as to whats going on.

I add flourish once a week less than what it calls for and I will check into that. Thanks

Mine did this for two days after I got him. He just floated. I figured he would die. Went to work, came home, and he was at the bottom crawling around looking for food. He's been fine ever since. So I'm not sure what happened.

Mine floated for hours when I first got him thought he would die, I put him close to wall and eventually he latched on and got truckin, sometimes he lets go and sinks/bounces around the bottom for a while

Back
Top Bottom