Flourite and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClearVision94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if seachem flourite is safe for "ghost shrimps" because it contains iron, copper, and other minerals that are toxic to shrimps... Is it safe? Is cycling the substrate required? Any help?

I breed S+ CRS and Blue Velvets. If it says Copper, it's out of the question. There are probably people out there that know more than me, but IMO, better safe than sorry. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't risk it. Extremely minute amounts are okay for shrimp, but i still wouldn't mess with it.
I tried some ferts with iron in it once and it killed off every single red rili in the tank, and that was at only 1/3 the recommended dosage

Flourite is perfectly safe. Most ferts even contain minute amounts of copper. Shrimp actually need a small amount of it.

Flourite is perfectly safe. Most ferts even contain minute amounts of copper. Shrimp actually need a small amount of it.

They get the trace amounts of copper from their daily diet, etc. Some shrimp species are very sensitive to copper. The problem isn't the small amount of copper you put in with one dose. It's the slow copper build up of continuing to fertilize. You have to have very strict cleaning guidelines and make sure you are testing regularly. For the novice aquarist, this is not something I would want to get into.

They get the trace amounts of copper from their daily diet, etc. Some shrimp species are very sensitive to copper. The problem isn't the small amount of copper you put in with one dose. It's the slow copper build up of continuing to fertilize. You have to have very strict cleaning guidelines and make sure you are testing regularly. For the novice aquarist, this is not something I would want to get into.

That's why fertilizing and water changes go hand in hand. To prevent the large buildup of nutrients added into the water.

Trust me, many many many people use flourite substrate and the overwhelming vast majority of them have shrimp as well, myself included. There's nothing to worry about.

Just for shiggles I tested for copper on my 10g with flourite substrate that gets a micro fert that contains copper every other day and root tabs that also contain copper. It's been 9 days since my last water change and copper levels are measuring at 0 mg/l and my test kit reads as low as .25mg/l

That's why fertilizing and water changes go hand in hand. To prevent the large buildup of nutrients added into the water.

Trust me, many many many people use flourite substrate and the overwhelming vast majority of them have shrimp as well, myself included. There's nothing to worry about.

Never said you couldn't do it. =) Just letting him know what is all involved and if it was me (personally) and I was a beginner, I wouldn't do it until I learned a little more. I'm not much of a risk taker though. =p But I am also probably biased because I have an expensive shrimp and I'm too poor to let them die, ha! =p

How bad is iron for inverts? My tap water reads 0/0/0 for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but I don't need a kit to know that I have high iron!

Fluorite is perfectly safe for shrimps. i keep cherries, painted fire red, crs, cbs, carbon rili, pumpkin shrimps, oebt, tibees, mishlings, bbk, all in fluorite mix with sand. =)

Back
Top Bottom