Fluffy Coating On Bamboo Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casabutton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP! My three Bamboo shrimp have developed a thick transparent fluffy coating all over their bodies - is this a bad shed due to lack of calcium or something more sinister. Nothing else in the tank is affected but I immediately moved the bamboos to the hospital tank.

I also have some large bamboo shrimp which look more like rock or mountain shrimp when I search on google - these big fellas aren't fluffy though...

Can anyone help? I have started adding one drop of iodine salt liquid (Salifert) to the 46L tank but I suspect I am closing the stable door after the horse has bolted...

My tank was set up in Nov 2012 and reads good on every water test. I also check the water before I add it to the tank when I do my weekly changes.

Any help or advice is most appreciated! Let me know if you need anymore info!

:thanks: Louise

Attachments

• fluffy bamboo next to tube.jpg
    fluffy bamboo next to tube.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 143
  • fluffy bamboo 1.jpg
    fluffy bamboo 1.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 142
  • fluffy bamboo 2.jpg
    fluffy bamboo 2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 176
  • fluffy bamboo pair.jpg
    fluffy bamboo pair.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 143
Try this:mix 3 tablespoons non iodized salt in a 1 gallon container and dip the shrimp in for 15 seconds then remove and rinse it under distilled water. Do this once every other day until infection clears its defiantly fungus.

No other symptoms and since my first post I added the Salifert Natural Iodine 1 drop in the 15L hospital tank, a calcium food block and a chunk of shirakura mineral stone. I direct fed them red cyclops and have carried out a 25% water change every other day.

The good news is they are fanning, eating and moving around. The fluff is considerably less and I think they are on the road to recovery. Now I am faced with the dilemma of do I speed up recovery and put them in an iodine dip...

Any suggestions? Also why was nothing else in the tank infected with fungus?

Attachments

• not so fluffy bamboo.jpg
    not so fluffy bamboo.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom