Fluval Spec + RCS/CRS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I'm considering downgrading my 5G project for a Fluval Spec.

I only keep inverts.

RCS + A nerite would be ideal.

Does anybody have experience with the Fluval Spec? Any pictures? How does the light seem?

The main reason is how often I move around, I feel like more than halving my tank size and increasing how decent it looks would be..... Beneficial lol.

I have seen the fluval spec and it is pretty awesome! I have seen that the LED's keep very low light plants alive pretty easily. You will probably have to go with java fern, anubias, and moss as your main plants. Also, I would try pretty hard to steer away from using ferts (only because ive had pretty bad luck with them) how about doing an awesome moss scape?:)

If you wanted to do CRS instead of RCS, you can use bottled water mixed with tap to get soft water and a lower pH. Since the tank is so small, this shouldnt be too expensive at all.

Well I was considering keeping this tank I have now running as a low maint tank, maybe it would sustain some shrimp on their own? Just feeding off the bio film? Just put them on a timer.

I don't know if this is bad... But I NEVER use tap water. I don't monkey around with dechlorinator and what not. I just buy all my water by the gallon as spring water.

I'd like to keep CBS/CRS, but I'd probably keep RCS first.

I would probably like to find a piece of DW for it. I don't know how to seed, so I'd probably just cycle again? Would 10 shrimp and a snail even need a cycle? Especially with plants?

Well I was considering keeping this tank I have now running as a low maint tank, maybe it would sustain some shrimp on their own? Just feeding off the bio film? Just put them on a timer.

I don't know if this is bad... But I NEVER use tap water. I don't monkey around with dechlorinator and what not. I just buy all my water by the gallon as spring water.

I'd like to keep CBS/CRS, but I'd probably keep RCS first.

I would probably like to find a piece of DW for it. I don't know how to seed, so I'd probably just cycle again? Would 10 shrimp and a snail even need a cycle? Especially with plants?

Cycle what again ? The 5g ? Or a Spec ?
Shrimp need stable parameters. I had to cycle my 10g. with MTS and Otos and Plants before I added RCS.

For my CRS I've waited over 6 weeks for my AquaSoil to quit leaching Ammonia. I tested my 5.5g today and Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 10ppm. So my CRS will be moving in. I just have to neaten the Mosses and trim a few things, then new Shrimp Tank will begin. I have lots of nice brown diatoms for them to graze on :)

I would test daily and as long as the numbers are good, then add Shrimp and a Nerite is great, but make sure it's got enough to eat and watch out for holes in the Shell. It may need it's own little tank to recoup and regrow shell in harder water with more Calcium. I may set up a Nerite only tank ( a 3g ) for my little guys. Then they can go back in the bigger tanks to clean.

Coursair said:
Cycle what again ? The 5g ? Or a Spec ?
Shrimp need stable parameters. I had to cycle my 10g. with MTS and Otos and Plants before I added RCS.

For my CRS I've waited over 6 weeks for my AquaSoil to quit leaching Ammonia. I tested my 5.5g today and Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 10ppm. So my CRS will be moving in. I just have to neaten the Mosses and trim a few things, then new Shrimp Tank will begin. I have lots of nice brown diatoms for them to graze on :)

I would test daily and as long as the numbers are good, then add Shrimp and a Nerite is great, but make sure it's got enough to eat and watch out for holes in the Shell. It may need it's own little tank to recoup and regrow shell in harder water with more Calcium. I may set up a Nerite only tank ( a 3g ) for my little guys. Then they can go back in the bigger tanks to clean.

I'm talking about the spec :) and alright. My 5g has been cycled for a long time. Two RCS are doing well.

I'm just considering downsizing.

I'll cycle the spec if I get it :). I just had no clue if 10-20 shrimp would actually require it lolz.

As far as seeding your tank, you have the materials already from your 5 gallon. Just take a bit of that filter and put it in the Fluval. You'd still have to cycle it but it would be much quicker this time with the bacteria already started.

Using spring water, alot of times that stuff is just purified tap water, I don't know that it would have the minerals in it or not what kind do you normally buy? Maybe look on the manufacturer's website and see how they process their water, you may need to add a bit of minerals to the water to keep your shrimp/snails happy. I've done the 50/50 tap/distilled water in the past and found that it didn't work well for me, my snails started to get pits in their shells so I just went with straight tap water.

Oh no.. That's unsettling. I hope this water is ok.. I've had pond snails in there for ever. No issues there. Lol.

I'll check. This water was just an easy solution for screwing up the dechlorinator lol

MABJ said:
Oh no.. That's unsettling. I hope this water is ok.. I've had pond snails in there for ever. No issues there. Lol.

I'll check. This water was just an easy solution for screwing up the dechlorinator lol

I had the EXACT same fear of screwing up with dechlorinater in my RCS tank, just use prime. I've heard of people doing 7 (I believe) times the normal dose to quickly remove nitrate in an emergency, so don't worry:)

Actually going the prime route would be cheaper. It treats up to...(have to grab the bottle to see)2500 gallons for a 250 ml bottle that cost 9 bucks.Try to go buy 2500 gallons of spring water for 9 bucks and they'll look at ya like you're crazy!

Very very true. What a good way of looking at it. 2500 gallons of water would cost me 2500 dollars where I buy my treated water LOL.

BTW I see you are looking for new smaller tank, have you ever thought of making your own acrylic or glass tank? It is easy enough for glass, and I've been researching acrylic and it seems even easier. You could even put a section behind the main tank to hold your filter and stuff. I imagine the price would be way cheaper than these prefab tanks. If you want i can pm you a link to some really helpful youtube videos on how to make acrylic tanks.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I really don't have tools at my disposal. I'm game for learning for sure :D

Back
Top Bottom