Fresh Clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All! I am looking at possibly getting a fresh water clam or two? I was wondering if this was a good idea or not? I have 2 banjo cats, a loach, 5 corycats and a frog on the bottom of the tank, along with 2 small bristle plecos and an apple snail. As far as middle and top fish I have 5 rasboras. and some plants and duck weed.

Would a clam fit in okay or should I pass? Do they breed easily?:fish2:

Clams are filter feeders, and need to be fed special foods.... They are very hard to care for, and I would not recommend them.

They sound cool, and I've had them before but they didn't survive very long.

Maybe snails are a better idea?

Although I have head that loaches eat them, but I've got no experience on loaches....

Speaking from experience, clams are a pain! I used to rescue some from the local Creek over the summers and keep them in the tanks, since the creek would dry up and create a mass death of clams and fish. While it was only temporary and a majority survived, dead clam is NOT something you want inside and in your tank! Not only does it smell awful (and I mean AWFUL) but it really messes with your tank.

0/10 would not recommend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I concur, clams are not great tank inhabitants. If you have a green water tank with water flow they work just fine. Over and above that the specialized foods are mostly designed for salt water critters and generally very messy.

What size is the tank? I have 2 that have been doing great for many months in a 56 gallon but I've never had luck in tanks any smaller.

THanks all for the great advice and warning me about these little guys! I kept finding mixed 'facts' about them. I knew I would get the answers here!

My tank is much too small, it's only a 30, soon going to be upgrading to a 55 :D Petco is having their $1/gallon sale! I am sooo excited! Wouldn't be adding any fish just have more room for my current batch XD

Thanks again all!

Depending on the kind of loach it might try to eat the clam. What kind of loach is it? Almost all common aquarium loaches need to be kept in groups and many species can become aggressive if kept alone.

Dojo loaches are a coolwater species, they shouldn't be kept above 75 degrees. And they need groups of 5, they won't get aggressive but they will be unhappy!

They're only consistently sexable when mature as far as I know.

I understand that, I keep my tank at 72, everyone seems fine there. Maybe I will get more when I get my 55. I think it's best to have 1 then 5 in my current tank and be over crowded. It was take it or it be flushed by a friend. :)

I understand that, I keep my tank at 72, everyone seems fine there. Maybe I will get more when I get my 55. I think it's best to have 1 then 5 in my current tank and be over crowded. It was take it or it be flushed by a friend.

I understand! As long as you're aware! :D And dojo loaches won't eat clams probably, although I did have one crazy one who ate a huge mystery snail....

Haha! Thank you so much for letting me know! I don't know much about loaches, though I have picked some things up while having this guy. I love him! I want a whole bunch of these loaches! I have only ever seen yellow though :( Never the neutral color? How many could go in one tank? I am leaning towards 10 they are so cute!

I think I will pass on the clams though! I really appreciate all the help!!

I know my pleco was just eating on a ramshorn snail one of the assassins knocked off! :D It was pretty gross!

Haha! Thank you so much for letting me know! I don't know much about loaches, though I have picked some things up while having this guy. I love him! I want a whole bunch of these loaches! I have only ever seen yellow though :( Never the neutral color? How many could go in one tank? I am leaning towards 10 they are so cute!

I think I will pass on the clams though! I really appreciate all the help!!

I know my pleco was just eating on a ramshorn snail one of the assassins knocked off! :D It was pretty gross!

There are neutral ones, you may have to search online. I strongly prefer them to the gold dojos. The only limit to the number in a tank is bioload; they LOVE company. In a 55 I wouldn't do more than 5 though. They get quite large (around 8 inches)!

Oh! I will definitely move this girl (I just looked! :)) into the 55 when I get it. I am strongly leaning towards it now. I think it would be better for all of my current fish ^_^

My clam got eaten before it had chances looked really cool in my tank thinking of giving it one more try

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom