FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, proper dosage appears to be the key. They hide well but must have a great sense of smell. I dropped a half wafer on each side of the tank and within minutes I saw them pop out of the sponge “walls” (the dual HMF). I have some glutaraldehyde left over from my Planted tank days, so I spot treated the ones I could see.
Two days ago I saw 1 or 2. Yesterday I saw none. I’m going to add a little a food this morning and see what shows up.

Dropped in the half pellets. Checked an hour later...nothing. I do see what looks like shriveled up flatworms on the glass; without the classic triangle head they resemble other flatworms or flukes. However, these were not moving.
I dosed the remainder of the mix (not quite a days worth) and will keep an eye on this. Hopefully the shrimp will start breeding again.

Actually, I’ve seen no worms of any type since treatment. Shrimp and snails are fine. A few months back there was a decline in the number of seed shrimp. Have not seen any in the last few weeks. There is an occasional copepod sighting.
The dual HMF has been running for about a year now. The foam is full of gunk. It would be somewhat impractical to remove and rinse them (but not impossible. I am trying to come up with fashioning a plastic attachment to the siphon hose that will vacuum the foams surface at an angle (basically, miniature version of a regular vacuum upholstery attachment).

Interesting on the vac attachment can you find one from a mini hand held battery portable type vacuum the kind for cars or crumbs... maybe a yard sale or thrift store but you'll be done by then by the time it might take to find one, lol (unless you happen to own one).

Great news about the worms.

Just this morning I saw a Planaria gliding across the planted bowl when I was doing maintenance. I think it was laughing.....

Thanks for the vacuum tip. I just MacGyver something together.
Update on the worms: apparently fenbendazole is not a broad based treatment; though the flatworms are gone, other types are still present. Namely detritus worms. Not a problem though.
Updated tank pics: IMG_8002.jpgIMG_8004.jpgIMG_8003.jpgIMG_8001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom