FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, interesting new addition.

These pop up as, noteworthy filtration from time to time and have seen articles on occasion. It has been on the radar this will be good to observe your experiences. Need a snail or 2 in the middle?

What to do with the circulation to pick up gunk / uneaten food? Do you need to vacuum or just not overfeed (I'm thinking of me there since you don't overfeed? !)

Can't think of a down side since they are thick.

From what I understand, it takes months before the filter mature. My goal is to only provide supplemental food and rely mostly on the sponge and IAL.
With the flow rate so low (~80 GPH per 144 sq inch of foam) I really cannot see particulates entering the foam. So they stay suspended in the water column. :( I got impatient and added a small amount of flocculant. Water turned hazy white as usual, however, it has been persisting for at least two days. There is a bit of detritus in there and I tried to clear out as much by stirring it up when I was running the poly fill filler HOB in there (prior to this setup). Polyfil looked like mud.
One cool thing is with water changes. So easy to siphon from the center section without fear of sucking up shrimp. Same thing with filling although the new water might back flow the sponges.

Won't the shrimp just climb up the sponge and possibly still mix or get in center..
I had to hire guards for my self cloning cray tank ! I have the airline going straight up from center of tank to avoid easy climb outs...
Possibly just a thin piece of glass that overhangs each sponge a little could go unnoticed and act as the barbed wire on top of the fence ?
Maybe they don't climb like the crays ?
You can vacuum the sponge itself in place easily and see the debris being removed from my experience.

^^^ Really depends on the shrimp. Ammanos can climb like crays. Neos/Caridina not as much. They have trouble supporting their weight out of water. I’ve seen them climb up HOB outflows but they are wet the entire time. The top of the sponges are pretty dry to the touch. I did consider some type of barrier at the top though.

Finally got around to separating the yellows and reds. I’m sure I did not get all of them; will be checking periodically for stragglers. They’ve been together for at least a month so I will need to keep an eye on the new shrimp, especially on the yellow side. IMG_5845.jpgIMG_5846.jpgIMG_5844.jpg

They forage all around the tanks so maybe you will see some in the middle. They really like grazing on the sponges so it will likely be tempting them.

All seem healthy. The yellows have a really good color. Looking good in there.

Interesting product there with really good reviews..
I wonder if you could cycle a fish tank with it ?
I thought your sponge looked pretty tight up top on second pic so maybe they won't find their way in ?
Those shrimp have great color .(y)

I was going to use Bacter AE, but various reviews kept pointing me towards the Magic Powder.
It can be used for cycling. There is a method coined “Vin Cycle Method”. It is an 8 week process. Described here.
I’ve dropped the water level a little bit to increase surface agitation so it should make the climb even more challenging.
They yellows are good quality and are from someone on Ryan Anderson’s site before they went out of the shrimp biz. The reds are so-so. The real question is how much hanky panty went on while they were in mixed company. For now I plan on keeping the yellows on the left and any reds/culls to the right.

Interesting to be sure. I got the Bacter AE and I ho estly can't say I see a benefit after using for a month. I feel like I saw better before I used it. Again though all the babies are really healthy and have good shells so couldn't say if it is the baby shrimp food or ???

I will be curious if you see improvement in color and growth and and shell quality.

Duckweed was getting out of hand so a cleared a large portion of it out. When it’s thick enough to scoop out with a fork... I could not use a net because some of the shrimp like to hang out at the surface with the duckweed.
I also removed a good deal of subwassertang from the right side of the tank (RCS side). I want to improve flow, open it up, and get a better view of the tank. Before and after pic
esSsnYi.jpg
FTS
9NrhRSU.jpg

I think white mulberry, kale, and spinach has been helping. Seeing more and more babies on each side of the tank.

Wow, big hit on the menu selection!

They get zucchini about once a week, algae wafers 2-3x a week, and a sprinkle of SL-Aqua Magic Powder every other day.
It’s been 5 months since setting up the dual HMF. There is a lot of material built up in the foam. There was a 3-4 month breeding lull but in the last month I’m seeing lots of babies and a few berried females. Shrimp are often freely swimming about the tank.

That seems to be the way the breeding goes in a new tank/tank switch.

It seems like nothing is ever going to happen and you almost forget about it and then boom, there they are.

Is it the building of a new population of the microorganisms for them to graze on? Other than an occasional berried female having some fry as they get into a new tank, I really do not see breeding ever in a new tank.

Only if I have removed fish and then used the mature tank to house shrimp, have I seen no issue with breeding in what would be a tank switch rather than new tank.

It would be an interesting experiment to have time to do - measure the microorganisms in ~ 4 tanks

*matured tank /never had shrimp
**2 different bacteria promoters in 2 different tanks,
*Brand new tank, substrate, etc.

and see how the populations fare.

It’s been six months so this tank is due for an update.
Shrimp populations have remained stable; not dropping but sadly, not growing. I treated for planaria several years ago. In the last few months I’ve noticed one or two. In the last few weeks I’ve seen a large number of them.
I bought some Panacur C and mixed is as per directions I found on Google (from an old AA thread). After two days of dosing I expected a mass die off of those disgusting worms. Nope, I still see them gliding around mocking me. Then I re-read the instructions. I’ve been half-dosing the deworming medicine. Going to give another dose tonight and the correct amount in the morning. Die worms, die.

Back
Top Bottom