Freshwater Invert Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis_2004

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just want to run a idea that i have been working for the past two days by you guys.
I want to set up a 2.5 gallon aquarium thats would only house inverts. The aquarium would sit on my desk and have a hang on back filter and would use some of my 29 gravel and water to reduce the time of the cycle.
The aquarium would have as inhabitants
2-3 freshwater clams
6-8 cherry shrimp
4-6 ghost shrimp
And some sort of snail (not sheer what type right now)

The aquarium would not have lights so there for i would be using low light plants.

with no lights at all, you'll probably only get away with java fern/moss - unless your overhead lights are super bright.

but i think it sounds neat!

I kind of like the idea too. Here's a suggestion. You don't need a filter in this type of aquarium if it's properly planted. You do need enough light to grow some hardy stem plants such as elodea. The plants will take up the nitrates and weekly pwcs will suffice with the rest.

Lighting the tank will make it more enjoyable for you to view. The shrimp will love the plants. Should be a great tank.

I'd recommend a sponge filter and a good desk lamp for lighting. Clams are filter feeders, and likely wouldn't last long in such a small tank. You would also be polluting the water trying to keep them fed, and nano tanks are difficult to maintain good water quality to begin with.
Best bet would be to start with plants, snails, and a few ghost shrimp to see how it works out. No major loss if it crashes.

i tend to disagree with the clams i know they are filter feeders and i really think i could do it. i would want them to take out whats suspended in the water collum and then would take there waste products out with a little vac of gravel and partial water changes . i think if i did it right i could do this kind of aquarium and my idea is not to have anything die on me even if it is a small cost. put a price on life because i really cant, if the smallest paretical died most of the ecosystem would die with it.

I like your thinking Kribensis. The issue of a natural aquarium is a balanced ecosystem. Plants provide the oxygen and remove the nitrates. There have been a few threads posted on small natural tanks. No filters needed. You can do it too.

I have the same tank you're looking to set up (minus the clams. I'm looking though!). I don't have a filter, but it's heavily planted with a lot of fast growers with 13 watts of light. But it looks great and it's the most successful out of all my tanks. I think the light is a good investment. Mine was only $20, but you could even use a regular clamp on desk light if you already have one.

I also have a teeny tank with two ramshorns and some hornwort, with just ambient light from the room. It might be one of the only plants you could use with no light over the tank, but the shrimp won't be happy, since the plant just drifts in the water column.

Either way, it's definitely doable if you plan properly.

freshwater tropical clams are not to hardy from what i understand, and in a 2.5 gallon, im afraid there wont be enough food to go around

actually i am not shure if i am going to do the clams
but my ideas on the plants of right now is three anabis and two plantings of java fern

yep i belive so, but actually i right now am not shure about my numbers they might come down so ya, but clams, shrimp, snails all can go into the same aquarium.
and actually i think i am only going to go for cherry shrimp, a clam and some snail

Wow, thats a lot of stocking for a 2.5 gallon. My 2.5 gallon is 8 inches long and 4 inches wide. These inverts are going to be stacked on top of each other in layers.

so its started i just today put in some small snails two apple snails and six little shrimp. all is well and i have two anabis nanos and two peices of wood in there with them. still looking into clams

I will try

And does anybody have info on freshwater clams, the stuff i am finding about them is telling me that they are easiy and just fillter feed on green water.

I have 3 fw clams in a 40 gal. from what i have heard they are difficult to keep alive, either starving, or from nitrate poisoning... but so far mine all seem healthy, Ive had them for about 3-4weeks now...

Back
Top Bottom