Freshwater Shrimp Concussion/Paralysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwencel24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

Something very interesting happened to me yesterday that I believe worth sharing with everyone. I went to one of the few LFS's in my area and bought 3 Amano shrimps, 5 ember tetras and 2 pygmy cories (three separated bags in total). Before I left the store, I checked them for any health issues (and I found one of the cories are not healthy - went back inside and got a replacement).

By the way, the three bags were inside a black plastic bag. I got into my car and decided to place that bag on the floor of the passenger seat. I drove as safe as I can as I travel straight to home. When I arrived home, I immediately took care of my new stocks. The first thing that I pulled out from the black bag was the bag that has the Amanos. And to my surprise, they were dead (that's what my first thought). If you have seen a dead shrimp (not moving, curled back, and hands wrapped together as if hugging something), then you know what I am talking about.

I was pissed - really pissed. I stared at the Amanos for few minutes, opened the bag, poked the Amanos inside, and set the bag aside. I acclimated the other bags for my 75 G tank. FYI, the Amanos were decided to go to my other tank (shrimp tank). After that, I took the bag with Amanos. I was thinking of tossing the "seem to be dead" Amanos in my 75 G tank (they would become food). But then, for some reason why, I decided to put them in my shrimp tank. FYI, the water in the bag and my shrimp tank has identical parameters.

For few minutes, I was staring at the Amanos. And turned out, they are actually alive. I noticed that their mandible and maxillae (part of the mouth) were moving. But, their bodies were still paralyzed. I was happy and kept observing. For few more minutes, they were able to move their back pleopods - sometimes they would swim backwards for one stroke. At this point, their front pleopods were still wrapped/paralyzed.

FYI, the times that I will be mentioning are not normalized. More than 30 minutes has passed and I have noticed that the largest Amano began to move some of its front pleopods (feet). For more than two hours, it was able to move completely - still looked like stumbling. The other Amano (the smallest one) began to move some of its front pleopods. For about five hours, the smallest Amano was able to move completely - still stumbling. At this point, the largest Amano has fully recovered. On the other hand, the medium size Amano was still paralyzed. I made sure that it was alive before I went to bed.

I woke up this morning and the first thing that I checked were my Amanos. They are now fully recovered from what seem looked like paralysis. My hypothesis, initially, was that they "died" because of the temperature. But I excluded this - proven false. The only thing that I have in mind was that some time during the transportation the Amano bag slammed and caused instantaneous vibration in the water inside the bag. This might have caused shock and concussion, if you may, to the shrimps. I still doubt this hypothesis due to my previous experience in transporting shrimps.

Anyways, my take home message is that - if this happens to you, don't immediately throw the shrimps out of frustration. The shrimps may still be alive.

Very interesting post and noted. I have one incident that one of the cherry shrimp looked dead when I added them with other new shrimps to tank but after a while he started to move and recovered fully. So I guess its something these shrimps can do. Now I also remember once one of my bags fell from chair and I found one extreme blue bolt died. I threw him but now after reading your post I realized I should have waited.

Very nice information. Thanks.

Sometimes the floor of the car gets hotter and / or heater.

Wondering about the catching them at the store. How much trouble did the employee have? Was it very stressful to them. Other than that I wonder about TDS - if it was the same or not as the lfs.

Also about all of the parameters, did you check Kh/GH and Ph?

Sometimes the floor of the car gets hotter and / or heater.

That's a very valid point. Since water has high heat capacity than air, water will tend to have slightly higher temperature than the surrounding. This could be detrimental to the Amanos (or any other shrimps).

Wondering about the catching them at the store. How much trouble did the employee have? Was it very stressful to them. Other than that I wonder about TDS - if it was the same or not as the lfs.

Another valid point. I was not watching while the Amanos were being catched. But I did made sure that they were moving (healthy) before I left the LFS.

Also about all of the parameters, did you check Kh/GH and Ph?

The water came from the same tank where they came from (this I know). So, I assumed that it was not shock due to sudden parameter(s) change. I also think (not sure though) that neither of the water parameters will make Amanos do that. But parameter change will also based on the rate of change (short time vs. long time to sudden death vs. slow death).

Another observation I have (that might be helpful) is that usually dead shrimp change color over time (turns white/orange). So, that is another indication that they are dead. In the Amanos' case, it never happened. Waiting for them to change color will not hurt (unless otherwise).

Great note about not just throwing out the shrimp. Very useful help for people to know.

It seems something stunned them. We may not ever really know the answer.

Shrimp are especially sensitive.

It is always useful to check water from what the critters are in and compare to what they are going into - your water.

So many things can cause issues.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Changing color / getting cloudy while alive indicates often a bacterial infection or sickness, ammonia poisoning will also do that.

After they are dead, yes they turn color.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

They can indeed die or have a shock from pH difference or Total Dissolved Solids /TDS of moderate to great difference. Also read about phosphates can cause issues with shrimp and fish.

Store water could be very bad, too much ammonia, too much NitrItes or NitrAtes. Temperature could cause stunned behavior, and it might have just taken the shrimp some time to adjust.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If you have time or interest, read about old tank syndrome.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/2016/6/23/how-to-avoid-old-tank-syndrome

The differences in going from bad to good water could stun but usually kill them.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Glad you got yours to perk back up.

Back
Top Bottom