Ghost shrimp advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok we'll in my ghost shrimp tank my female has finally had her eggs hatch can anyone give me any info on raising them I know it's hard to feed them but I've hotfoots that should work. But if you guys could give me so info I'd appreciate it.

Hi...I heard that you can help the baby shrimp by having a few live plants cause they like to feed on the tiny organisms on them and I think u can also put a little salt in there every now and again u can look on the back of the package it should say.

Hi...I heard that you can help the baby shrimp by having a few live plants cause they like to feed on the tiny organisms on them and I think u can also put a little salt in there every now and again u can look on the back of the package it should say.

Ok I have a moss ball and a small java fern in the tank.

Oh ok yeah that should be enough I have just those two shrimps in my 10 gal with other fish and so far there doin fine

The best thing to get baby ghost shrimp from larva to tiny shrimp is lots of floating plants. The newly hatched ghost shrimp are like tiny mosquito larva. They float around the top of the water eating bio film and microscopic stuff. That is why you usually loose them. Fish find them and eat them. Lots of floaters gives them some cover until they go on to the next form. Takes 3-4 days usually. They can also starve if the tank is not seasoned enough to have a healthy bio film. I have had good luck with Hakari fry food. It is a powdered food and seems to increase ghost shrimp growth and is fine enough so the babies can eat some of it.

You can also feed them cultured green water. That's essentially single cell free floating algae, such as Nannochloropsus. You can buy disks of this algae, Florida Aqua Farms makes them. Follow directions, add to water and grow under lights, with an airstone and some ferts.

I squirted about 100 cc of this into the ghost shrimp breeder tank I had twice a day and had very good survival rates. I started when the females dropped the eggs and kept it up until the shrimplets had morphed and were crawling on the substrate, about 3 or 4 weeks. Shrimps morphed in about 4 days, at about 72 F. Temperature can have a big effect on survival.. the warmer it is, the fewer you will have that live.

The tank CAN be fairly new.. I was caught by surprise when I first got ghost shrimp, not realizing some were berried. I wanted to raise them but I had to set up a breeder tank overnight. Used media from the big tank to get the power filter running, but also put a sponge filter in.

The cultured algae makes up for the lack of biofilm to some degree. But I also put rocks and wood in from the main tank, that had plenty of biofilm on them, and used substrate from the main tank, also well seasoned with biofilm.

Eventually I removed the power filter and left only the sponge filter going, and I was able to raise several broods this way, all the way to adulthood and breeding themselves.

Additionally, I fed them Golden Pearls in the 5-50 micron size, and powdered Spirulina, which I mixed with water first.. a half tsp. to a cup of tank water, shaken very hard in a sealed jar to mix it up and poured in. Once I could see newly morphed shrimplets floating, I also fed them banana and micro worms, which I was able to see them eat, you see the body jerk when they grab one. Between these items and the greenwater, the shrimp did quite well.

Once they were about 3/8" long, I fed them a wee bit of algae pellet or tabs once a week, as they foraged mainly on biofilm, from the sponge filter, wood and substrate, and also a few microworms about once a week. Kept a mystery and a couple of Nerite snails in with them too.

Plants were also a feature of the tank and I had a fair number of very small frogbits on top. They grew eventually but at first they provided very little cover. But there were no fish in the brood tank at all, and I removed the females after they dropped their eggs, as soon as I could manage to catch them; partly so they would breed again, partly because they tend to eat their kids, or so it appeared. I got more survivors without females than with females in the tank.

I recommend you get java moss all shrimp love it and I do not recommend you have ghost shrimp they tend to die easily and I would recommend cherry shrimp or other ornamental shrimp like that because they are more hardy and breed much easier... And they're colors are incredible!

I recommend you get java moss all shrimp love it and I do not recommend you have ghost shrimp they tend to die easily and I would recommend cherry shrimp or other ornamental shrimp like that because they are more hardy and breed much easier... And they're colors are incredible!

See I wanted cherry shrimp but the only place that sells them where I live want $5 each

Ghost shrimp are good to start with. I have never had trouble with them dying. It allows you to learn the basics of shrimp keeping before going on to more expensive ones. Check the classifieds out on here and aquabid.com. Red cherry shrimp can be found for a very reasonable price like that. They breed easily and people soon find their tanks over run. Then pass them on to other hobbyist.

Yes you are very right I think they are on the expensive side but you can find some for a dollar a piece because there is low grade and high grade... And low grade are cheaper but it might take some time to find them... But yes you are right ghost shrimp are great starters!

How to breed ghosh shrimp ?? Is it hard too and how do I know if my will ?

If you go down the RCS path then invest in a few of the best grade shrimps you can afford. Be patient and you will soon have a thriving colony. Better to buy fewer top quality stock or you might be disappointed in the paler colours of your new shrimp. Adding a few more from another source will improve your gene pool and your resulting shrimps will more likely retain their brilliance. Good hunting.

Back
Top Bottom