Ghost shrimp breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will they without much help. The guy at my LFS was telling me that he had a bunch in his tank and has started to see some babies?

what i understand is there hard to raise and need salt water to go threw there first cycle of life might be wrong on this but thats what ive been told since i go threw 100 a week....my fish eat them

They actually don't need brackish or salt water. It is hard to get them through the larval stage, though.

My ghost shrimp set-up was a 10 gallon with a sponge filter. It had a coupla pieces of driftwood, was overgrown with algae and had a good population of copepods. I started with 20 shrimp. Despite the females berrying up constantly, I only ever saw maybe three out of each 20 eggs as free-swimming larvae, and only one out of 20 made it to adulthood. I've read that the adults will eat the larvae and I didn't separate the females when they dropped, so I'm assumin' that's a big reason why I didn't have a higher survival rate. My colony died when I was on a business trip, so I didn't have a chance to experiment more and I haven't replaced them yet.

They're interestin' critters. Good luck!

WYite

Back
Top Bottom