Ghost Shrimp Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends entirely on the individual betta. It's always a crap shoot when you try to give bettas tankmates.

It's your choice. If you think of them as expendable, then you don't have to have a backup plan, however, if you're like me and you think of them as pets, then you should have a Plan B if the betta doesn't work out with them.

No, yeah, by no means do I think of them as expendable. My LFS has a 14-day satisfaction guarantee (meaning a problem or death warranty) on the fish, and if it is more than 14 days, my cousin is willing to take them.

I wouldn't think they would be aggressive toward these ghost shrimp, but like LyndaB said, it all depends on the fish. I would just get a few and see how they do.

I have a gs in a tank with a betta, and the betta watched it closely when I first added it....it was touch and go there for a while...lol. Now he ignores it completely. :)

My males and females don't touch them, which is why I would be inclined to say they are up in the air and need to be kept on a fish by fish basis.

I have my male betta in the tank I keep ghost shrimp in for feeding my puffers, and I've never seen him take much notice of them. I've just had one lone shrimp for a couple weeks since I've been unable to make a trip to the LFS for more and he's been just fine holding his own against the betta. Not to mention mine's a plakat (short fins) so he can swim a little faster than your average betta.

They'll eat whatever they can get their grubby little pinchers on....lol. Mine run off and hide with whole shrimp pellets, algae tablets, hunks of peas. They also swim upside down at the top of the water to grab flakes. Fun to watch!!

Algea wafers are always a pretty good choice!! Or you could just feed shrimp pellets and flakes. They really do eat just about anything! My male betta stared at them once they first went into the tank, but were soon ignored:)

So do I have to get any special food for them? Some sort of pellet?:thanks:
In a betta only tank there shouldn't be any leftovers for the shrimp to feed on, so you'd want to use some sort of sinking pellet or wafer.

Back
Top Bottom