Hammers cobalt blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseLynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought my crayfish about a year ago, and I was wondering if I have to keep him in an aquatic environment or could there be just a couple inches of water in the bottom? Which would be better for him and make him more comfortable? He doesn't seem to be as active as when I first got him and hasn't molted in about 3-4 months. Is this normal?

Either fully submerged or in just a couple of inches of water is fine. It might be easier to filter a fully filled tank, because they do produce a lot of waste. But that's up to you. They would honestly be fine in just an inch of water as long as their gills are staying wet and the water parameters are to their requirements. He'll be equally comfortable in either situation, but I keep all mine crawfish in fully submerged tanks. It's just easier to put an HOB filter on the tank and keep the water nice and clean.

As far as his molting schedule, they molt less frequently the older they become. So if your crawfish is already fairly large, then don't worry. If he's still little, then it could be cause for concern. How old would you say he is?

Ok at that size, then going months in between molting is perfectly fine. No worries! The more and more you keep crawfish, you will eventually be able to tell from their behavior when they may be preparing for a molt. Refusal to eat as much, lethargy, digging more than usual, sitting in one spot, those are a couple behavioral indicators of an impending molt.

As far as physical stuff to look out for, check out this video: Beginner's Guide To Predicting a Crayfish Molt Short Video - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom