Has anyone kept Australian Red Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 1960s edition of the Innes book, and in his section on snails he describes Australian Red snails. The illustration shows them having pointed shells like a pond snail, but about an inch long or just over. I believe he described them as fairly prolific, easy keepers, so I've been curious about them, but I can find very little online. Did they just go completely out of style nationwide?
Here's what I've found:
A Merriam-Webster definition, so at least I know they were once a real thing: Australian red snail - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Webster gives the scientific name as Lenameria dispar, which, when searched, also turns up very little.

Today I found mention of them in a 1953 book on Google Books:
https://books.google.com/books?id=J...SjAK#v=onepage&q=australian red snail&f=false
This book describes them as being the same color as red ramshorn snails, but "whelk-like in shape", and shows a hand-drawn illustration like the Innes book. But it gives a different scientific name, Bulinus Australianus, which does actually turn up some search results, though nothing in the aquarium hobby and nothing with pictures. I learned, for example, that Bulinus Australianus was sent to space on a Chinese mission, and lived in a sealed environment with just water and algae. Both the algae and snail grew at first, and then plateaued.

WetWebMedia made it sound like they still exist by including them in some info on outdoor ponds, but they just include them in a list of species and don't say anything about them specifically:
Pond Snails, Bane or Boon?

And, that's all I've found. Using any of the names above in an image search, I can find some photos of dead shells, but none of those contain real info either. Google Red Ramshorn snails and you'll find real info, as well as the mentions and photos of a zillion adoring (and some begrudging) keepers. But Red Australians bring nearly no results.

So my questions are:
What are they like to keep?
Why did they so completely fall out of the hobby?
And, if they didn't fall out of the hobby because of some dark evil secret, where can I get some?
Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum. :) I can't remember anything here like that. Does it say what size they get to and if on the east or west coast of Australia?

The books don't give an exact size, but the illustrations seem to indicate about an inch or a little more. They didn't give details on where they're from, if they're even actually from australia.

My guess would be east coast (assuming Australian :) ). They don't ring any bells still but there are a lot of natives on that side and mostly I was just interested in fish, although did keep a range of natives at one stage.

I live on the west coast now and quarantine import between states is sometimes I think tighter than international. So we might just not get them here unfortunately.

It would be nice to do a native tank again at some stage.

But the Innes book was an American one, and in his day they were commonly available. The other book, the one I found on Google, was by an Australian author, so if his mention was the only one I found it would be believable, but Innes makes me think otherwise.

But the Innes book was an American one, and in his day they were commonly available. The other book, the one I found on Google, was by an Australian author, so if his mention was the only one I found it would be believable, but Innes makes me think otherwise.

A lot can change in a few decades. A snail that was common in his day (1960s by your first post) may have since then became illegal. You may want to email the US Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement sector to find out. Let me know if you'd like their email, as I've emailed them before about my panther crab breeding project to ensure it was legal (something I don't think I've mentioned on that thread :lol: ). (y)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Delapool, here's a map that attempts to show where they come from. not sure of its accuracy, but I'm sure they do their best.
Bulinus australianus Conrad -- Discover Life

Greengo, I'd love to have that email address, thank you.
My thought is that even if they have been banned, if they were once common they'd still be around somewhere.
So far I cannot find any mention of a ban related to that species, or any mention of it in connection with USFWS. Maybe they really did just go out of style that completely. It's a little weird.
Have you had success with the panther crabs? I've heard promising mention of them but that's all I know.

Here's the email: lawenforcement@fws.gov you may need to copy paste or quote this and cut paste from there.

I've not gotten them yet, but I'm sure when I do get them I'll be able to breed them. Spent six months looking up info for them the first time while they were out of stock and found a lot out (primarily their native water parameters and such, but there's like zero info on them except what I've provided in the fish/plant profile section of this forum). However, found even more out this semester due to a project I had in one of my classes. It's nice being at a major university :lol:

I'm looking forward to Jan/Feb when I'll be able to know the price and hopefully get the crabs. :D in the meantime a whole lot of other things are going down on the thread, which you can find under 'freshwater breeding' if you want.

I hope these snails are just out of style, as I may buy some if you're able to breed them. Let's make them in style (as long as they're not illegal, of course)! :p

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, it would be disappointing to discover an interesting species only to learn that it has been banned to the point of totally vanishing. Thank you very much! I'll let you know what I find.

Well it's not restricted in the US. They gave me contact info for the Australian authorities so I could inquire whether export is restricted, but I know those snails were already being bred in the US by the 60s, so I don't think it's necessary to look into Australian exports.

I wouldn't goof around with international law tbh. Especially when the other country has spiders that kill snakes. :| Laws change, goblins are now classified as people for instance.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you.
Again, I'm not looking to import them. They were here in the 60s, commonly bred in home aquariums. I just want to find someone who still has some.

I wouldn't goof around with international law tbh. Especially when the other country has spiders that kill snakes. :| Laws change, goblins are now classified as people for instance.

Lol - it's not that bad. Just avoid the water..

Texted my sister on east coast to ask her.

You know how it goes! Something happens once, like something falling from a balcony, and suddenly it was raining mung bean ice cream to the point the town had to be abandoned for the smell when it rotted. It isn't that bad XD However, international laws can get nasty because of the costs and governments looking to recoup for their trouble. I'd rather deal with the spider.

Back
Top Bottom