hello everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justkeepswimn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I'll keep it short and sweet. I had bought a bunch of nerite snails 3 months ago. Now I woke up to find a bunch of baby snails and there are more eggs in my 20 gal tank. Are they truly nerite snails or other breed. And will it become a issue?

Nerites do not successfully reproduce in freshwater. Post a pic to identify.

They do like to leave egg graffiti everywhere.

Yes they left many eggs but none had hatched. I noticed baby's today when I went to do water change

At pet store they said "variety nerite snails" but if they are ramshorn is this normal?

Oh, I didn't notice the other snails in there. Those are nerites (the larger snails). Those lay eggs that won't hatch.
The smaller snails aren't their babies, they are another species of snails called ramshorns.

Ramshorns usually sneak eggs in on plants on they will lay them on other snails shells. If you have any friends with a dwarf puffer it's their favorite food. Some can be very pretty when they get bigger. But you have to limit feeding to control the numbers. IMG_1245.jpg

Yes. The ramshorns, as TMaier said, likely hitchhiked in on your plants. The nerites are the ones you purchased from the store.

ok

thank you. I guess I now have two types of snails in my tank hopefully they won't overbreed

The nerites (larger snails) you don't have to worry about, as they can't reproduce.
The smaller snails (ramshorns) will only overpopulate if you overfeed.

The problem I've found with having both ramshorns and other snails is that they can outcompete for food. They also apparently eat mystery snails. I have no idea if they'll attack nerites in the same way, but they never seemed to bother our rabbit snails. I had to tear down my tank to get rid of them. They killed half a dozen of my mystery snails. It was awful. It makes feeding them to the puffers easier!

They killed your mystery snails?! I didn't know they could do that. I'm so sorry for your loss. Did they just outcompete them for food?

here's some new pics

Can't tell what little one are yet

Attachments

• 20170729_115332.jpg
    20170729_115332.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170729_115830.jpg
    20170729_115830.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 62
  • 20170729_115656.jpg
    20170729_115656.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 60