Help Deciding Substrate for Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDerrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a 30 gallon freshwater tank with ghost shrimp and lots of community fish and I find myself watching the shrimp more than some of the fish. I decided to set up an old 20 gallon tank as a shrimp tank. I'm probably going to end up with orange eyed blue tiger shrimp but haven't fully decided yet. Thank you local pet store, they gave me the name of their fish supplier and told me they could order me anything I want from there. I'm taking a tour sometime this week (I just have to set it up) there because it turns out it's only 5 miles from my house and they do scheduled tours.
My main tank is bright (meaning almost tacky - my son's tank decisions) colored with lots of plants but this this tank I want a more natural look and I have to decide what kind of substrate I want. It will be planted and I have some great driftwood pieces ready to go in. My water out of the tap has a ph of 8 to 8.2 so I do need something that will not raise the ph any. Any suggestions? The tank isn't set up yet and I have time but I'm one of those who need to have everything ready before hand.

My water out of the tap has a ph of 8 to 8.2
Is that directly out of the tank or after gas off? I went with tahitian moon sand (black) I think the black sands really make your fish/shrimp/plants stand out. If you wanted to go with a plant substrate, you could put that down and do a sand cap on it.

That is from the tap after a 24 hour wait with occasionally stirring it. My tank has the same ph also. I do like the black sand but was a little worried with the plants. I'm hoping to avoid the mixed look on the bottom but if the plant substrate is heavier and will stay under the sand that could work.

I'm sure one of the plant guru's will come here and tell you the correct way to do a planted substrate with a sand cap! I myself have never done it as of yet, but it's my next project....sooo many projects *sigh*

I use DIY. Osmocote Plus root caps ( easier to make Fert - cicles with an ice tray and tank water)

Then sand then Tahitian Moon Sand.

If you use Organic Potting Soil with a sand cap google Walstad Method. I don't. I move my plants a lot and worry about an algae bloom if I stir up dirt. But it grows plants great !!!

Sand I've used:
Flourite Sand "black"
Black Diamond blasting sand
Both capped with TMS as its the prettiest.

If you try to cover gravel or Eco complete with sand the sand will migrate to the bottom and your larger substrate will end up on top AFAIK.

Eco Complete is dark, but expensive. Many like it. I happen to love my black sand tanks and I grow lots of plants. In small tanks you can get away with stuff that might not work as well with a bigger tank.

My tank before adding fish and rescape

Akadama. I used it for all my tanks, able to introduce shrimp in 3 days with proper setup technique.

Super clean and stable. Especially for caridina related shrimp it is quite acidic, mine is down to 6.0 ph.

Very little ammonia leech also.

Shrimpfever said:
Akadama. I used it for all my tanks, able to introduce shrimp in 3 days with proper setup technique.

Super clean and stable. Especially for caridina related shrimp it is quite acidic, mine is down to 6.0 ph.

But suddenly Akadema is impossible to get or shipping is through the roof. My club members are trying to find sources to get more.

Shrimpfever said:

How long will it usually leech for? I've heard of it doing so for about 2 weeks. Also, does it leech quite a bit?

Akadama sounds good but I heard the USDA made quite a few shipments get returned lately because of other stuff (like plant roots) in it. It might be a while before it starts coming in again. The price on it also is a little high for a 20 gallon tank. The black moon sand looks so pretty. A lfs has it for about 15 bucks a bag, so not a bad price. And yes I know I'm complaining about the price of substrate when the shrimp I want are not cheap. It's just me and the way I am. :)

Some people use aquasoil, which is pretty much the same thing. Personally I'd just go with what looks good to you, I'm a fan of ecocomplete and 3m colorquartz T grade As far as getting softer water, I'd look into a r/o system if you have liquid rock coming out of the faucet.

How long will it usually leech for? I've heard of it doing so for about 2 weeks. Also, does it leech quite a bit?

ammonia leach from akadama isnt even something to worry about.
Simple chemistry, in acidic water such as pH of 6 from akadama
renders ammonia harmless cause ammonia is basically inert at this
state. Once pH lets say gets to 7.4 which becomes alkaline
the ammonia will covert into ammonium which is highly toxic and
active in this state thus killing shrimp:)

I have had to put 200 CRS into a 40 gallon tank that i ran only for 2.5 days
cause my shipment came early, and it was reading at

Ph of 6.4,
gh of 3-4,
and tds of 135-140
ammonia of 0.25mg

all using API test kit except TDS using a Pen.

And i had only 2 deaths out of 200 shrimp in there.

ADA aquasoil is great too, but ammonia leach, and tanning of the water lasts up to 2 months before it becomes stable.

I will soon do an experiment comparing different soils.

Very nice... Where are the 200 now?

99% survival is great, too.

Do you sell CRS?

Shrimpfever said:
Out of 200 approx 20-50 are left.

Most got sold. All left are SS-SSS now mostly.

I trust akadama now more then all other sub's ive used

My aquatic plant club is going nuts trying to get Akadama for reasonable prices. It either got pulled or the few remaining bags are through the roof.
Competing with Bonsai folk also.

I heard some of it got seized in cali for some reason o_O

Back
Top Bottom