help ghost shrimp fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came home to find that my ghost shrimp dropped . Fry are now in a 1 gallon fry tank. What do i feed them? Or will they scavange for themselves?

it depends. Petstore sells any clearshrimps as ghost shrimps. What do the fry look like? does it look like a mini shrimp or like a larva? if its in larvae, then you need to raise them in brackish, if mini shrimp then i would separate them from the parents (cause the parents wil eat them). they will scavange for themselves, but there has to be stuff to scavange. Try some crushed fish flakes.

They look like mini shrimp.. is that not a glass shrimp? Some of the adults .. including the mother.. have a little red markk on their arch

What about the hikari first bites? Thats really all i have. Ive also heard hard boiled yolk? I do still have one other pregnant female in the tank and she doesnt seem to be bothering them... i also have a molly that will soon be ready to pop i think... can the molly fry and shrimp fry live in harmony in the 1g?

What about the hikari first bites? Thats really all i have. Ive also heard hard boiled yolk? I do still have one other pregnant female in the tank and she doesnt seem to be bothering them... i also have a molly that will soon be ready to pop i think... can the molly fry and shrimp fry live in harmony in the 1g?

Likely to be tasty appetizers for the Molly.

Have heard of some people able to raise the glass/grass ghost shrimp in FW as some actually come from FW they are all pretty similar. I understood the pointy back type need brackish water to develop. Whereas the curved back ones are more likely to be grass shrimp, FW. You could add maybe a tsp of dissolved aquarium salt into the tank to maybe help them along. You can add it with the aquarium water in 2-3 divisions as to get them used to it gradually.

Also if it doesn't work and they die, it can cause an ammonia spike, so watch out for that! I had a bad experience with that happening!!!

Likely to be tasty appetizers for the Molly.

Have heard of some people able to raise the glass/grass ghost shrimp in FW as some actually come from FW they are all pretty similar. I understood the pointy back type need brackish water to develop. Whereas the curved back ones are more likely to be grass shrimp, FW. You could add maybe a tsp of dissolved aquarium salt into the tank to maybe help them along. You can add it with the aquarium water in 2-3 divisions as to get them used to it gradually.

Also if it doesn't work and they die, it can cause an ammonia spike, so watch out for that! I had a bad experience with that happening!!!

I have a pair of platys about 5 mollies and a rainbow shark.. will the salt affect them?

In my experience and usage no problem. But I have a red tail shark not a rainbow with 1 tsp per gallon of salt in my tank now and no problem, platys not likely Mollies like salt, and guppies can tolerate that amount no problem. I treated for Ich with 1 TBL per gallon and no problems.

You may want to check others to be sure.

I know 1/4 tsp per gallon is fine so you could start with that amount, just make sure you put it in as dissolved.

Would you by any chance happen to know how long the just station. For a pregnant ghost shrimp is and also how long it takes after winning the exit for them to become the mini shrimp that I have now it seems to me that they came out as many shrimp because I only had the female in there for 24 hours before I found them

Sorry I can't remember atm, and I am off to work in a minute! There are some threads about it, I know some people here get them to adulthood. Try a new thread specifically for the info!

I have raised ghost shrimp babies 2 the swimmer stage before, but they got eaten... i had them in a 1g with no filter as the water movement messed with them, and 1 tablespoon of salt in the 1g. They were by themselves, and i did a 50%wc every 3rd day. Feeding baby bites, and they ate the biofilm from the tank also. Goodluck!!! It takes about a month for them 2 hatch, and 10 days about for the larvae 2 become walkers, 15 ish til they are swimmers. Time depends on temp.

Awwww...... sorry about your little guys. :(

How about trying some Cherry shrimp. Can you get them where you are at? They breed beautifully in normal tanks. Not really anything special to do.

Back
Top Bottom