Help! Heater just broke!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wasn't really sure what topic to put this under.. Since its a shrimp tank I'm putting it here. I just finished my water changes. I plugged my heater and filter back in on my 5 gallon shrimp tank. After about a minute I saw a little flash from the heater... It's broken. THANK GOD IT DIDNT ELECTRIFY MY SHRIMP!!! So now I don't have a heater. This heater was crappy anyway, but was still $20.. It kept the water at about 74, so degrees lower than it said it should. I just did the water change so the temperature is a few degrees off. Once it gets to room temp I will say what temperature that is. I'm guessing around 72. Do I need to get a new heater? If so which one? It needs to be relative small. It has to fit in a fluval spec back compartment where the heater is supposed to go. The one I had was an Aquatop NanoTherm 25w heater. In my 10 gallon I have a deep blue heat stick which keeps the water at 80. I like the size of that heater. It's maybe 5 inches long and is pretty skinny. I would be putting in pics but for some reason it won't let me :/ but any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

unplug it asap than remove it
shrimp prefer cooler temps 68*/72* is ideal
be sure to get a heater that isn't a factory set unit
what you need is a manual adjusting heater so you can control the temp
if your home is a constant temp with little to no change you most likely could get away with out one shrimp seem to live longer in cooler temps anyhow

Ok thanks. I will go remove it. And by at least tomorrow morning I will post the temp

Sent from my iPhone

I don't have any heaters in any of my tanks. I don't keep any truly tropical species, so room temps have been ok. In fact, the shrimp survived even last winter when it got REALLY cold, and their tank got down to below 60F. Unless your home is very chilly, if you only have shrimp, I'd skip replacing the heater.

Ok thanks! Our house stays at about 70 degrees year round. I have a few neon tetras in the tank I will move since they need the heater. But first have to get rid of some fish in the other tank :(

Sent from my iPhone

I have a spec as well. Personally, Id get a new heater so you can keep a couple other fish in there. Shrimp gone unchecked will become serious in numbers. A mild temper fish like neons will only pick off a few bitties and give your tank better color and flow.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want it to be a shrimp tank. I have 3 neons in there now because the shrimp aren't breeding yet so i wanted more in there. I want to really get the population of shrimp up before keeping fish in there. I'm going to remove the neons when I get more shrimp I only have two and I'm ordering more.

Sent from my iPhone

Id give you 20 or so if you live close by Seattle. Its a city on the way to everywhere.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No I'm in tennesse.. I found somebody on Instagram who has nice ones and will sell them for $2 a shrimp..

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom