Help identifying carnivorous freshwater snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoorDiscusDude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,

I have these absolutely vicious Brown snails that live in one of my tanks. They are about the size of a small grape if not a little bit bigger, they are hands down the craziest meanest snails I have ever seen. They eat each other, they eat fish, they eat ghost shrimp. I need help identifying what they are. I have brought them to four of the five aquarium stores in northern Atlanta and nobody's knows if they are and I need help. I don't want to kill them because it's there some random stowaway that came from somewhere else I would like to keep them but there and I only tank that has pelia in it and I don't want to move to Tele out of the tank cuz I don't want them to go elsewhere because they eat everything that moves. They're not assassin snails assassin snails in the sump of my bigger tank and they're not shaped the same Noor colored correctly. They are colored like a pond snail on their shell but their bodies are light blue with white spots. I have watched one the size of a small crate eat another one out right that was the size of a small grape almost the exact same size as the one that ate it. If anyone knows what they are please let me know. Thanks for your time and reading my long-winded post. I have been trying to find out what they are for over a year now.

Hello everybody,

I have these absolutely vicious Brown snails that live in one of my tanks. They are about the size of a small grape if not a little bit bigger, they are hands down the craziest meanest snails I have ever seen. They eat each other, they eat fish, they eat ghost shrimp. I need help identifying what they are. I have brought them to four of the five aquarium stores in northern Atlanta and nobody's knows if they are and I need help. I don't want to kill them because it's there some random stowaway that came from somewhere else I would like to keep them but there and I only tank that has pelia in it and I don't want to move to Tele out of the tank cuz I don't want them to go elsewhere because they eat everything that moves. They're not assassin snails assassin snails in the sump of my bigger tank and they're not shaped the same Noor colored correctly. They are colored like a pond snail on their shell but their bodies are light blue with white spots. I have watched one the size of a small crate eat another one out right that was the size of a small grape almost the exact same size as the one that ate it. If anyone knows what they are please let me know. Thanks for your time and reading my long-winded post. I have been trying to find out what they are for over a year now.
Picture please

Hello,
Here are a few pic.s of my shrimp eating snails. :)

Attachments

• 20171109_034605.jpg
    20171109_034605.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20171109_034545.jpg
    20171109_034545.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20171109_034352.jpg
    20171109_034352.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20171109_034417.jpg
    20171109_034417.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 74
A better shot of the body would be great. It is faintly visible but not well enough.

Looks a great deal like a pond snail by the shell. I have seen pretty large pond snails but not the size of grapes. Hmmm, a good mystery...

Do you feed these guys? Maybe they are starving??? Still shouldn't really be eating each other.

I would feed them some omnivore sinking bottom feeding wafers by Hikari. My snails have always loved to eat them.

A better shot of the body would be great. It is faintly visible but not well enough.

Looks a great deal like a pond snail by the shell. I have seen pretty large pond snails but not the size of grapes. Hmmm, a good mystery...

Do you feed these guys? Maybe they are starving??? Still shouldn't really be eating each other.

I would feed them some omnivore sinking bottom feeding wafers by Hikari. My snails have always loved to eat them.
Hey thanks for trying to help. Lol. Yes I do feed them. They eat ghost shrimp, bloodworms, small fish, Flake food, other snails, pleaco wafers and generally anything else they can catch. I also thought they were pond snails. However, when I watched one run down a ghost shrimp and eat it..... I don't think that they are. Plus, as you stated, they are much larger then any common pond snail I've ever seen. I will try to get a better body shot :3 to help.

Thanks again,
Dave

Likely an invasive (just because of the eats whatever it wants and doesn't even have any "hands" even) Asian or tropical snail which could have come in on imported plants or something or thought to be pond snails when small. Very interesting!

Thanks for helping!!!!

I definitely believe it is an invasive, I go around to all the local stores and get all of their nuisance snails that come in their planted tanks and did you show up in their tanks. I got them and feed them to my loaches and my spiny eels. So this is definitely where they came from I don't know what store they came from but they most certainly hitched a ride in. I'm just curious because really looking at them now I see several colors such as green gold Brown some have red spots and their bodies are like a light blue with neon blue looking squiggly lines I will attach pictures thanks for everybody's help

Attachments

• 20171113_194112.jpg
    20171113_194112.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20171113_194227.jpg
    20171113_194227.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20171113_194156.jpg
    20171113_194156.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171113_193755.jpg
    20171113_193755.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 55
in the new pictures I uploaded the third one down is one large snail attacking another large snail. Send the second one down is a large snail chasing a smaller snail

Now my question is do I nuke them out of my tank since I have them isolated in one small tank or do I attempt to remove the animals I want out and leave them in the small aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom