Help!! Lost my whole colony of (rcs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocsmvp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently just lost a hole colony of shrimp 15-20 all of my water levels were fine no spikes nitrite or ph I had the tank up for about 6 months..

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well first, sorry to hear. That really sucks. Now let's get a little deeper. To say your parameters were "fine" is not much to go on. What test kit are you using ? Liquid, paper strips, or your LFS ? Of the three, there's only one (IMO) that's very accurate. Also what's your temp, any new additions, anything else in tank ? Did you treat for anything recently, done a WC, what kind if filtration ? Anybody else been near your tank ? Where is it located in your place ?

I use the paper strips, water temp sits at a steady 77 f , I do a weekly 10% water change (always done that) it's located in my pond room in the basement were I grow plants and have a pond I use no ferts in that room at all and I added a new plant to my tank about 6 weeks ago (pogostemon erectus)

And I use 2 good size sponge filters

From almost everything I have read, paper test strips are not very reliable. Most everyone here seems to agree that liquid tests are the way to go. I have only a month or so of RCS experience and have had just 2 die. So hopefully someone else can comment and help. But IMO a colony death like that seems like it would be a large spike or large enough spike in some toxin
PS: condolences :/

Little update guys and thank u for the advice i went out and got the liquid test kit It turns out I had a big ph problem so now Ive added some crushed coral to the tank and all levels are right on the money ... I'm going to wait about a mo th or so before I put any shrimp in I want to make sure it's got a good cycle and 100% ready . Again thanks for the advice will post pics once it's running with the shrimp in it

I have my RCS in a community fish with 50 tetra fish. The tank is very heavily planted especially with mosses. Despite the obviously losses of baby shrimp the colony seems stable at between 50 & 100 of differing sizes. I did have problems until I set the Kh and Gh to 6. The Kh avoids Ph crash and the Gh I believe helps with shedding. I think the success of the RCS is the fact that they are just part of my overall Eco system. I don't feed the shrimp. They take what they can and seem to be doing well with their scavenging skills. I think the success is down to a massive amount of plant material.
Good luck with the restocking of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom