Help the Shrimp Noob!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I saw some bright red shrimp and got them for my 36g cycled tank. Learned they were Red Cherry Shrimp. I read about them, found out they like to eat algae and whatnot, but for the life of me can't seem to get the hang of their keeping.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425094545.048488.jpg

I have lost a few and would appreciate ANY advice or tips on how to keep these guys swimming!

Water params: 0/0/10; 77*F; 7.4pH; 24* GH; 7* KH; planted tank with black sand and eco complete substrates.

Tankmates: 15x Endler's livebearers, 4x false Julii cory cats, and 1x bristlenose pleco.

Filtration: 2x Aquaclear 50s with intake prefilters; purigen, floss and biomax; 50% PWC once a week with EI dosing of macros and micros.

Teach me and instruct me in the way of the shrimp!! Seriously, I love seeing these bright red spots in the tank and want them to be happy and healthy, so gimme all you got!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

They like plenty of hiding places and plants to cling to, and mine like occasional algae wafers.

I lost a few off and on in the beginning, never found out why. Other than that I've found neos very easy to keep, just be very careful about temperature of water going back into the tank after WCs.

Agreed, they are finicky and can be tough to get started - but once they adjust to your tank, they will breed and you will have a colony for years. They don't live very long but they multiply like crazy. I had one tank, started with 5, and a year later had 50+.

After mine got settled in it seemed like the less I did with them the better they did!

I did better with the ones from other AA members than from the LFS. The older and more stable the tank, the better chances for success. Less predation helps (mine is fishless).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My shrimp tanks are unheated except for the 10g but I have noticed them doing the same. I've found they also like sponge filters and hanging plants. As long as your water temp is good I'd imagine they're cleaning biofilm off the heater.

I think fish and shrimp sometimes do this just to make us wonder :rolleyes:

My first tank was a 29g, front could be seen in the living room, back in the kitchen. At the time I worked crazy hours at a grocery store and 3am one night/morning I found one of my kuhlis like this. Thought it was dead but turned out it (or one of them anyhow) would sleep there every night!

img_3173688_0_dfb6bab1fea43c4785d5f57b81ab182e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom