Help with Red Claw Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kshafer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, there! I just have one question. I keep reading about RCCs needing Iodide for healthy molting and such, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Most things keep thinking I'm talking about Iodine, but I want Iodide. And what I do find says it's for pure saltwater and you put in an enormous amount. I have a 20 gallon long tank and there is only...MAYBE...a few gallons of water in there. So, the measurements would be WAY off. I just have no idea where to find Iodide that is for RCCs. Anyone know?

Are you sure you don't mean iodine because when I wanted some of these little guys I read they would do better during molting if you added a little reef iodine....and you could probably add at least ten gallons of water for them to be happy

Iodide is a part of what makes up Iodine. It's just supposed to be safer in a pure form of Iodide because it doesn't turn toxic like regular Iodine.

And I can't add ten gallons because they wouldn't have any land. I'd upload a picture if I knew how, but it just talks about a URL and I don't have one.

Never mind, found a way. This is what my tank looks like...

81937-albums12854-picture59412.jpg

81937-albums12854-picture59413.jpg

RCC's

I have 3 RCC's in my 90G planted community and use one of these (see bottom left corner of tank) its an Atlantis underwater island a bio dome or air pocket, kinda like a diving bell. The crabs can enter through openings in the bottom to get the air they need. My crabs love this thing! I have had them for 6 months and all doing well, and they have molted a few times. I read that they need calcium for molting to help with shell production. This is a low tech planted tank no ferts dosing excel per directions on bottle. This also keeps them from climbing out of my tank. Hope this helps.

76354-albums12801-picture59058.jpg

I have 3 RCC's in my 90G planted community and use one of these (see bottom left corner of tank) its an Atlantis underwater island a bio dome or air pocket, kinda like a diving bell. The crabs can enter through openings in the bottom to get the air they need. My crabs love this thing! I have had them for 6 months and all doing well, and they have molted a few times. I read that they need calcium for molting to help with shell production. This is a low tech planted tank no ferts dosing excel per directions on bottle. This also keeps them from climbing out of my tank. Hope this helps.

76354-albums12801-picture59058.jpg

i have always wonder how the dome operates to keep the water out and how the crabs enter into the dome without water "following", could you elaborate on that?

its hooked to my air pump providing constant fresh air, it comes with airline tubing and an air control valve so you can adjust the flow of air into the dome. the dome has a small hole in it and when the pressure is great enough it allows a small amount to escape keeping the dome full. This model has a what looks like a pool in the middle that leads under the habitat, crabs can enter from either of the two entrances on either side and come up through the pool.
there are several models from small to large available.

Atlantis Underwater Islands - An underwater pocket of air for your crabs or newts you can check them out here

AWESOME! you just gave me a way to keep Crabs without needing half water half land!

I have red clawed crabs and those crabs with the huge claw, I use a tall decor in my 55 gallon and they just climb it and get their air!
img_2575542_0_d311a02df53982cef00af8e23b8c977c.jpg
img_2575542_1_d696f56846bc87e393f0a7892e523bbf.jpg
img_2575542_2_6d51a8f1c86d174c3f563ff4ba0c380e.jpg
img_2575542_3_088743ff9964fb7391465fec8f8784ca.jpg

I had to help mine out by putting a dozen crickets in side after a major water change and some plants. When I put the crabs back in I used the tube from my gravel vac and put them by the entrance and kept the tube there for a while till they saw the crickets and monkey see monkey do the followed each other in for a nice Easter dinner. They now go in every couple days stay for a while one at a time and no more climbing out of the tank or partially filled tank (which looks ugly to me and IMO teaches them that there is an exit above for them to explore).

I had to help mine out by putting a dozen crickets in side after a major water change and some plants. When I put the crabs back in I used the tube from my gravel vac and put them by the entrance and kept the tube there for a while till they saw the crickets and monkey see monkey do the followed each other in for a nice Easter dinner. They now go in every couple days stay for a while one at a time and no more climbing out of the tank or partially filled tank (which looks ugly to me and IMO teaches them that there is an exit above for them to explore).

HAHAHAH That is a perfect way to do it! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom