help with shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi i need advice on my amanos, i added new plants to my tank yesterday as soon as i did this my shrimp started acting strange swimming erratically and trying to escape. I immediately did a large change but when i got up this morning three look like they're dying the others are kind off hunched up, i have done another change. Is some plants poisonous to shrimp? Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 before changes. Any help would be appreciated as i have a shipment of cherries coming on Tuesday so I'm panicking!

I don't know of any plants shrimp DON'T like, but i have heard of some plants being treated with copper before you buy them to kill any snail eggs that might be on the leaves, the copper WOULD be poisonous to your shrimp

I'm not sure if they're treated? I buy my plants at the same lfs and haven't had issues before very confused and worried.

Also I have had my amanos for 7 months and they are the only one affected my red nose rhino are fine.

Hi,
How'd it go with the shrimp?

You might try checking the hardness gH in your water. If you have soft water that could be a problem too.

Hi,
How'd it go with the shrimp?

You might try checking the hardness gH in your water. If you have soft water that could be a problem too.

They survived! Did two large water changes and they were fine, it's weird as my paras where spot on. Thought they might be having issues with molting? I,ll check my gh. Thanks for asking :)

I think sometimes the plants use up the minerals or something! The pwc help replenish them.

Yep, have you heard about Anubias supposedly being toxic to shrimp? I panicked and took mine out and added it to my bettas tank lol not sure what to believe.

Haven't heard of the Anubias as being toxic, other than rumor. If it has toxic effects, I haven't noticed. I have had them in my tanks for over a year.

Had good breeding and show of color and no losses, other than what the Kuhli Loaches and the Dwarf Crayfish were gobbling up while they shared the tanks!!!!

IF the Anubias has toxic sap, then you could still use it if you were taking cuttings of yours if you let them heal the cut of the stem over several days in a cup or bowl and they would naturally heal/seal over and be fine to put back into the tank. I have broken one piece off to divide it before and still didn't notice any problems!

I probably have 5 different kinds of Anubias with all kinds of shrimp in all of my tanks, Amanos and a Bamboo Shrimp as well as Cherry shrimps of all colors and OEBT with Anubias as well. Just to ease your concerns.

Haven't heard of the Anubias as being toxic, other than rumor. If it has toxic effects, I haven't noticed. I have had them in my tanks for over a year.

Had good breeding and show of color and no losses, other than what the Kuhli Loaches and the Dwarf Crayfish were gobbling up while they shared the tanks!!!!

IF the Anubias has toxic sap, then you could still use it if you were taking cuttings of yours if you let them heal the cut of the stem over several days in a cup or bowl and they would naturally heal/seal over and be fine to put back into the tank. I have broken one piece off to divide it before and still didn't notice any problems!

I probably have 5 different kinds of Anubias with all kinds of shrimp in all of my tanks, Amanos and a Bamboo Shrimp as well as Cherry shrimps of all colors and OEBT with Anubias as well. Just to ease your concerns.

Thanks, it's a big talking point over here. You have put my mind at rest!

Thanks, it's a big talking point over here. You have put my mind at rest!

I would be curious which part is supposed to be toxic. And what the shrimp did or ate to make to them sick.

They shrimp pick at the biofilm ON the leaves, the leaves are sort of hard, and are even generally considered OK to have with Goldfish which generally eat the leaves/and plants but not so much the Anubias due to the harder leaves...

Interested in additional info if there is any other than rumor.

I use Arrowhead house plants in my planted bowls and they have calcium oxalate crystals with are an irritant to people and pets and the shrimp and Bettas have lived years with them. I just harden them off in a different bowl if I take cuttings. Before I knew they were an irritant, I never did anything special and never noticed any problems with my Bettas.

BBradbury here at AA keeps tons of Houseplants in his living plant aquarium including a zillion Chinese Evergreen plants, also know as a toxic plant and he has great fish and aquariums.....

I would be curious which part is supposed to be toxic. And what the shrimp did or ate to make to them sick.

They shrimp pick at the biofilm ON the leaves, the leaves are sort of hard, and are even generally considered OK to have with Goldfish which generally eat the leaves/and plants but not so much the Anubias due to the harder leaves...

Interested in additional info if there is any other than rumor.

I use Arrowhead house plants in my planted bowls and they have calcium oxalate crystals with are an irritant to people and pets and the shrimp and Bettas have lived years with them. I just harden them off in a different bowl if I take cuttings. Before I knew they were an irritant, I never did anything special and never noticed any problems with my Bettas.

BBradbury here at AA keeps tons of Houseplants in his living plant aquarium including a zillion Chinese Evergreen plants, also know as a toxic plant and he has great fish and aquariums.....

I'm sure it is the root's of the plant and it's meant to cause problems when cut. Some shrimp seller's are even asking if you have the plant before selling. I'm happy enough to have them now after speaking to you but got to admit when i read it i was wondering especially when my jellys died :(

I have them in all my tanks with shrimp also and have never had any problems, even when I do my cuttings to split them :)

Yep, have you heard about Anubias supposedly being toxic to shrimp? I panicked and took mine out and added it to my bettas tank lol not sure what to believe.

I've heard / read that some Anubias do release secretions that could be toxic to shrimp when the rhizome is broken ... like when you split Anubias.

I have a few different types of and have not seen any type of die off that I associate with Anubias. Hopefully you will not experience any further die-offs

I've heard / read that some Anubias do release secretions that could be toxic to shrimp when the rhizome is broken ... like when you split Anubias.

I have a few different types of and have not seen any type of die off that I associate with Anubias. Hopefully you will not experience any further die-offs

I took loads of Anubias off my bogwood when my shrimp started dying, i have thought about adding it back on as it looked nice. All my shrimp are doing great now even my new rcs so hopefully things will be ok now. Thanks

I took loads of Anubias off my bogwood when my shrimp started dying

I had a bit of a die off a few weeks ago. For about a week straight, I was losing 1 -2 RCS per day. Just prior to that I did a reshape and stirred up a bunch of stuff off the substrate ... so that could've had something to do with it.

STILL ... I kept in the back of my mind if any Anubias or Crypts had something to do with it. For now I'm just keeping tabs ... my RCS look fine and I'm seeing
a bunch of shrimplets.

I had a bit of a die off a few weeks ago. For about a week straight, I was losing 1 -2 RCS per day. Just prior to that I did a reshape and stirred up a bunch of stuff off the substrate ... so that could've had something to do with it.

STILL ... I kept in the back of my mind if any Anubias or Crypts had something to do with it. For now I'm just keeping tabs ... my RCS look fine and I'm seeing
a bunch of shrimplets.

I'm probably just worrying over nothing but it did make me think if it was the plant. I'm still thinking off adding it back on as the shrimp loved hiding in it. But like you say, you have lot's of shrimplets and that's a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom