Help with snail problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagoner25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good afternoon,

I have a 60 gallon tropical community tank with live plants, fish, nerite snails, flower shrimp, ghost shrimp and a fresh water clam however I had a pest snail bloom and I wanted to know what my options are for getting rid of only the pest snails that hiked on with plants. They are all smaller than the adult nerites. I didn't mind them at first but I probably have over a hundred now. Thank you for your time.

Hello Wag...

Snails are good for the tank. They're the best cleaning crew. But, if you have too many, they can add to the dissolved waste material in the water and affect the water chemistry. If you think you have too many, you're likely feeding too much. Snails are a great way of determining how much to feed. I suggest slowly reducing the amount you feed and you can drop a couple of lettuce leaves into the tank. Snails can't resist lettuce. When the snails gather on the lettuce, remove it and throw it away. You can also crush the snails with a wooden spoon, the fish will clean up the mess in no time and the shells will dissolve in the tank water.

B

All true, the lettuce trap is a good one.

Try cutting your feeding in half. Also you can just skip a day of feeding every once in awhile. Some people let it be one day per week.

I need to practice this myself, as I have a huge explosion of the little guys in one of my tanks right now!

A loach is a wonderful solution to your issue. I do not recommend using a chemical of any kind. There are snail traps that you can purchase on Amazon. They work extremely well. You could even a make one your self at home. YouTube can offer a lot of diy's for fish keepers.

Back
Top Bottom