Help with the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foch29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon tank. I would like to keep some easy to breed species of fish with shrimps. What are the best fish for me?(not guppy)And the best shrimps for a noob?

I have a 15 gallon tank. I would like to keep some easy to breed species of fish with shrimps. What are the best fish for me?(not guppy)And the best shrimps for a noob?

guppies would be the easiest to breed but you say no to that. you could do mollies or platies. you could try white cloud minnows. i had them breed and i wasnt even trying to. only ended up with 2 fry that survived. how about killifish? you could try some danios like leopard danios or zebra danios.

You say no guppies, but why? Are you not a fan of the size? The temperament? The look? There are numerous types of guppy.

If you're willing to give them a look, Endler's are becoming more and more popular. They are different from fancy guppies in size, color and personality. They breed easy and, if my quest has been any indication, they are actually difficult to find at most LFS. Being one of the only local suppliers would be lucrative for you.

guppies would be the easiest to breed but you say no to that. you could do mollies or platies.
I will research

you could try white cloud minnows. i had them breed and i wasnt even trying to. only ended up with 2 fry that survived.
I read that they want cooler water. Is that okay for shrimps?

you could try some danios like leopard danios or zebra danios.
I read that they eat all the eggs that they lay :(

You say no guppies, but why? Are you not a fan of the size? The temperament? The look? There are numerous types of guppy.

If you're willing to give them a look, Endler's are becoming more and more popular. They are different from fancy guppies in size, color and personality. They breed easy and, if my quest has been any indication, they are actually difficult to find at most LFS. Being one of the only local suppliers would be lucrative for you.
I like them actually. Will see if anyone sell them in my city.

I read that they want cooler water. Is that okay for shrimps?
I read that they eat all the eggs that they lay :(

they do like cooler temps but i keep mine at 74 degrees and they are doing just fine. all super active, no health issues and no deaths. yes the recommended temps for them would also be fine for shrimp. their temp range is 65-72 degrees and shrimp will be 65-80 degrees.

yes they will eat their eggs but alot of fish will eat their own eggs or own fry. not sure on how they go about spawning but you will probably be able to just put her in a breeder net and after she lays the eggs remove her then move the eggs to another tank or let them hatch in the breeder net. you might want to look more into their breeding habits.

What is your objective for the fish breeding? Hobby interest, resale?

Sakura, Painted Fire Red or other nice healthy Red Cherry Shrimp. Locally raised are a plus as usually have similar tap water and transition is easier.

A matured and stable tank with a practicing knowledge of the nitrification cycle. I would say a couple months after all parameters in the tank are stable, no spikes, fish deaths before adding a shrimp colony. The shrimp feed on microscopic stuff and it takes time to build that if it's a new tank set up.

You just gave me valuable info, Autumn! I was, myself, debating what order to add my planned fish in. Now I know not to put in RCS first!

Back
Top Bottom