Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and copper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read and read and read. Some guys are avoiding this food because it had copper in it which is deadly for shrimps. However Hikari claims that the little copper added in shrimp cuisine is what shrimp require for good blood circulation and won't harm shrimpb in any way.

I want to know if anyone of you using hikari shrimp cuisine for like two years or more and noticed anything wrong with the food?

My Taiwan Bees and I like this food because its very tiny pellets and I can sprinkle in all over my nano tank easily and all shrimps regardless adult or baby can access it.

Please share your experience with this food. Thanks.

I have been using it for about 6 years and have had oodles of shrimps born in my tanks!!!

All varieties of Hikari products including Shrimp and Crab Cuisine, the latter being liked more than the Shrimp Cuisine by the shrimp in my tanks. A staple I use is the for the Chilis is the Hikari Micro Pellets (crushed up a bit).

Also I have asked this same question with the answer of it being necessary for proper blood production, if I recall, and it is a very small / trace amount. Nothing like what would be in a medication. Copper is toxic in larger amounts.

Last edited:
I have been using it for about 6 years and have had oodles of shrimps born in my tanks!!!

All varieties of Hikari products including Shrimp and Crab Cuisine, the latter being liked more than the Shrimp Cuisine by the shrimp in my tanks. A staple I use is the for the Chilis is the Hikari Micro Pellets (crushed up a bit).

Also I have asked this same question with the answer of it being necessary for proper blood production, if I recall, and it is a very small / trace amount. Nothing like what would be in a medication. Copper is toxic in larger amounts.
Thanks a lot. I will order crab cuisine as well then. I am thinking to use hikari shrimp cuisine as a staple food. Do you recommend it?

The Hikari are good products, but there may be some better ones on the market too.

Recently I found that there were larger amounts of additives in the Hikari products than I really thought. since running a bare bottom QT/Hospital tank I realized just in the past month or so how much silt like stuff combines in corners in the corners and under DW in the tank

in the past 3 months I had planned to buy a couple of sample packs of food from sellers to try out a wide variety. I was given additional foods and did not need to purchase them. But that is something I need to do once again as food supplies need replenishment pretty soon.

One I started to look into was Cologne Shrimp food and others like Benbachi.
Low Keys was mostly the food samples I got from the seller of the PRL shrimp. I was not feeling like they were the most wonderful thing around, which prompted me to search some more.

Check this out. It is not a huge number of suppliers but a nice sampling. What I appreciated was the writers provided feedback to the responses of the different shrimp eating the foods. Hope this helps you.
Food for thought :)

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...s/articles/2016/7/21/the-big-shrimp-food-test

I use the hikari bio-pure mysiss shrimp no where on the label does it state copper,
I don't feed any of those cuisine foods as I was told they are not healthy and are more likely to cloud the water,

I only use the hikari bio-pure products as there 100% natural no additives

I was looking at switching to picine energetic's mysiss but I'm not looking to spend 10 or 11 dollars a package ,
its actually cheaper to feed live feeder shrimp than it is to feed this high dollar frozen shrimp

Last edited:
Kashif doesn't want to feed live foods, and has tiny fish (Chili Rasboras /Boraras Brigittae).

Hikari brags about their food not clouding the water and I have never had an issue with it clouding the water.

Other foods definitely had many times found cloudy water.

I really like frozen fish foods. Cobalt Coral Food is my nano tank favorite, all my SW and FW fish are loving it.

look at the hikari bio-pure foods copper is not listed any where .
I remember when I made my own foods till the kitchen started smelling like a bait shop .
after a search I found almost all hikari dry flake and pellets contain very low traces of copper , same goes for any of the cuisine foods that are mixed , this has been going on a long time according to articles I'm reading.

all of the hikari bio pure products are copper free said hikari spokes person

this is the ingredients of hikari seaweed extreme

Ingredients:
Dried Seaweed Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Cuttlefish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Sodium Alginate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Sucrose Polyesters, Lecithin, Clam Extract, DL-Methionine, Astaxanthin, Garlic, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate

look at the hikari bio-pure foods copper is not listed any where .
I remember when I made my own foods till the kitchen started smelling like a bait shop .
after a search I found almost all hikari dry flake and pellets contain very low traces of copper , same goes for any of the cuisine foods that are mixed , this has been going on a long time according to articles I'm reading.

all of the hikari bio pure products are copper free said hikari spokes person

this is the ingredients of hikari seaweed extreme

Ingredients:
Dried Seaweed Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Cuttlefish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Sodium Alginate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Sucrose Polyesters, Lecithin, Clam Extract, DL-Methionine, Astaxanthin, Garlic, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate

I feed some Seaweed Extreme to the SW AND the Shrimps and other fish in all the tanks. Not enough to be an issue I guess.

The Frozen foods have almost nothing but the food is says on the package.

And also, the Hikari Seawweed Extreme helps with color for the Blue Shrimp.

It might be because of this ingredient, Astaxanthin, it is in other kinds of shrimp foods as well. Wellness and good color.

after thinking about it last night we get scares like this every year or so than you do deep research to find most of these scares took place over 15 - 20 years ago and they are slowly trickling out again . theirs been no recent reports of anything bad happening from these foods or any of the other products that hit our radar.
if copper has been in trace of the food and has not done anything to cause harm ,if it is clearly marked on the label as it is theirs a reason for it .

it's like the plague once a scare occurs it keeps finding ways to come out , it's a never ending cycle it just a mater of time before it hits again , if our little friends haven't shown any signs and are healthy lets leave it at that and we put this 20 year old rumor to bed,

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Autumn and 54seaweed for detailed replies. I actually like to offer my Shrimps a food as staple which have no fish meal inside. Hikari Shrimp Cuisine does have fish meal. Is Hikari extreme seaweed good for my Taiwan Bee Shrimps as well? I have many blue ones and also soon will have Neocaridina fantasy blue too. Will hikari extreme seaweed will help bringing out color in other shrimps too like red king kong or pandas?

Autumn I saw that link before too. Thanks a lot for sharing. Yes I love how he explained. Yet still I am unsure lol. Mainly because some foods which shrimps went crazy for pollutes the water. I will search for more.

Oddly enough, my RCS turned their snouts up at the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. They’ve gone after everything else I’ve presented them. Was able to get ahold of a sample pack; great way to try out a bunch of different foods without breaking the bank.
They go nuts for flake food; I limit it due to the high protein content (not supposed to be good for them).
Fresh zucchini seems to be their favorite.

Oddly enough, my RCS turned their snouts up at the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. They’ve gone after everything else I’ve presented them. Was able to get ahold of a sample pack; great way to try out a bunch of different foods without breaking the bank.
They go nuts for flake food; I limit it due to the high protein content (not supposed to be good for them).
Fresh zucchini seems to be their favorite.

Do you steam the fresh zucchini at all?

My shrimp liked the Hikari Crab Cuisine, not too much excitement for the Shrimp Cuisine. Fish seemed to like it better than the shrimp did.

I got some micron pearls and nearly killed my tank I think because of their high grade of protein, but fed more than the filter could handle with it seemingly breaking down so quickly into ammonia. Bad surprise, and the ones I have are so very tiny it was possible got more in their than I intended.

Yes, be very cautious, with reading keepers experiences with the foods and just using a little bit to see how the tank responds, keep watching the parameters when you get a brand new high quality food.

Last edited:
Sliced the zucchini, spread them out on a plate, covered with a wet paper towel, and zapped them in the microwave for a minute. Not quite blanching because I did not immediately dunk them in cold water. Slices are stored frozen.

Thanks guys. Can I feed my Bees Hikari seaweed extreme?

Also a question for Autumn. I use to feed my mosquito rasboras hikari micro pellets and they love it. I crushed it more like you do to make it like powder. However when they nip at food many times food sinks to bottom and we know chili rasboras never pick from bottom so is it safe if my Shrimps graze on uneaten food? I read it had copper in it. I know copper in Hikari Shrimp cuisine is according to needs if shrimps but not sure about micro pellets. Please advise. Thanks.

Yes, I have been using both for a few years now.

No problem with shrimps.

Feed a little less, more slowly. Not meaning less than you feed them now but less at a time over a longer time. That will give them more time to eat the bits. Less will fall to the bottom then.

Yes, I have been using both for a few years now.

No problem with shrimps.

Feed a little less, more slowly. Not meaning less than you feed them now but less at a time over a longer time. That will give them more time to eat the bits. Less will fall to the bottom then.
Thanks. Very good advise

Back
Top Bottom