How can I get rid of these pond snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 4 gallon planted with dwarf sag. I had shrimp in the tank, but dude to a poor caretaker while on vacation, $150 of shrimp gone. I am now left with a ton of pest pond snails and I am done with invertebrates for a while. I am just going to keep it a fish only tank for a while, but I want to get rid of these snails first. Is there anything I can do to COMPLETELY get rid of them besides assassin snails, dwarf puffers, or the lettuce trap? Also, if anyone has some ideas for fish that will do well in a 4 gallon, I have an aqua clear 20 on it, so filtration should be good.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Put a little hydrogen peroxide in there and it should take care of the snails...as for fish some scarlet badis would be neat in there, maybe a pair of peacock grudgeons

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would prefer not to have to redo the tank, but if that's what it takes I will. As for the hydrogen peroxide idea, How much would I have to put in a 4 gallon and would it hurt the BB in the filter? Awesome fish ideas too! Always wanted a scarlet badis.

The only way I have ever been successful in permanently removing pond snails is using bleach. This, of course, will kill every living thing in the tank.

I just hatched an idea; If I went to Home Depot and got a small copper pipe and let it sit in the tank over night, would that kill the snails? I think snails are extremely sensitive to copper like shrimp, but I'm not sure and I don't want to poison my tank, anyone know anything about this?

I have no idea if that would work or not but I would warn you to be extremely careful when treating a tank with Copper. It is very difficult to get out afterwards.

I added some hydrogen peroxide about an hour and a half ago and all the snails have receded into there shells... Hopefully for good.

Will you be siphoning out the dead snails out assuming they die? It's the ones you don't see that may be a problem. Might cause an ammonia spike (should be able resolve this with WCs).

As of yesterday I thought all the snails were dead and I siphoned all of the ones I could find out and did a WC. But this morning there were 2 small ones on the glass. Which isn't good, but it's much better than the 100 that would normally be there. So before I went to school I put some more hydrogen peroxide in. Hopefully it does the trick.

If you are left with just a few then hand pick them out whilst small. Don't allow any to reach breeding size. It's slow but effective and doesn't harm the tank or contents.

Back
Top Bottom